Free Schooling Jumping Fun (Videos Included!)

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
So since Cyrus still can't be ridden did some free schooling today and my friend helped me free school him over some jumps.

After he was warmed up, we started out with a pole on the ground in trot and canter and then a small cross pole, then a small vertical and then he knew what he had to do so put up vertical a bit more.

He got the hang of it fairly quickly and really enjoyed it, he wanted to keep jumping :giggle:

He had a pep in his step today for sure :bounce:

Here is a couple links to youtube videos of him jumping. This was his first ever session free schooling over jumps (with me anyway I imagine he did as youngster). Videos taken near end of session :biggrin:

http://youtu.be/QgP4qFaQgWI

http://youtu.be/XMdhcPAxD2Y

Realised after how much we repeated 'good boy' after each other :giggle:

He has got a lovely jump in him. He looked to be really enjoying it.

I have never tried loose schooling Ben, but I am pretty sure that he would just look at me like I am mad. Lunging him after thing faster than a ploddy trot is a challenge in itself.

I have never tried loose schooling Ben, but I am pretty sure that he would just look at me like I am mad. Lunging him after thing faster than a ploddy trot is a challenge in itself.

You should try it! he may enjoy it with a jump up, it used to bring my laid back boy to life :angel:

Super! Go Cyrus! Looks like he was enjoying himself too - very willing.

Thank you :biggrin: he was a very good boy, did another short session but didn't have time for jumps as a lesson needed indoor. He was really willing just doing flatwork and responded really well to voice commands to trot and canter so I was delighted with him :wub:

Thanks, yeah I think jumping is his favourite :giggle: you should definitely give loose schooling a go, it is great fun, I was nervous to do it at first and not sure how it would go but once he got idea all was good. Just start off easy and take it from there, I found it lovely bonding kind of experience.

He looks like he is enjoying it, Free schooling is a nice way to play when you can't ride.

How is his mouth now?

Definitely agree, it is nice to mix things up from lunging when can't ride, as makes it fun for him while he gets exercise :giggle:

His mouth is so much better today, really healing well, so hopefully will be back in saddle soon :bounce:

newrider.com