Freelance groom?

J

jumpingkatey

I have just been offered a job as a freelance groom and they have asked me what i charged and i don't know what to charge!
She said she would pay me per thing i do,ie mucking out,grooming,exercising,etc.
Can any of you give me some examples of how much to charge?
You dont have to answer here,you can PM me if you want!!
thankssxxx

There are two things you need to take into account:

1/ Your travelling expenses. Getting to and from the yard will cost you money and your employer/client should cover your travelling costs. If you are driving, the recommended charge is £0.40 per mile (it was last time I looked... it might have changed since) to cover petrol and the running of the car. If you use public transports, then your employer/client should cover your bus/train fares. Of course, if you do more than one horse at the same yard, you would split the cost.

2/ The actual tasks you do. Decide how much your knowledge and experience is worth in terms of £/hour. Then, time yourself doing various tasks and charge according to the time it takes you. As an example, say you think you're worth £10/hour. If mucking out takes you 30 minutes, then charge £5 for this service. In terms of grooming, you could offer different levels of service from a basic flick of the brush + feet to a full blown show ready groom. Again, charge according to the time each service would take you. You could charge more for exercising if you are an experienced and confident rider (the going rate is more in the region of £20/hour if you do proper work).

I hope this helps...

newrider.com