Freezemarking greys

Zingy

Nov 18, 2001
Visit site
Anyone know how well this works? I'm thinking of getting fatboy done - I'm too aware that he looks the same as every other grey section A so I'd never stand a chance of getting him back if he was stolen (though they'd have to be mad!). Remember hearing somewhere that it doesn't show up well on greys, but I'm reluctant to microchip as I've never seen horses scanned at sales, plus I'm told you can remove them fairly easily.

With greys they hold the brands on longer than they would for dark horses so that the hair is 'killed' altogether rather than 'damaged', and your numbers are made of baldy bits- not as bad as it sounds, my mate got it done for her mare. It looks okay!

If it's done well it looks fine, but I wouldn't have it done in the saddle area as the hair is killed and leaves a bald scar I'm not convinced the nerves would not be affected, just my neurosis, no proof or scientific studies done to my knowledge.

On the shoulder in my view is better for a grey.

petal will probably have to be done again soon - she was black when she was done at 2! i expect she'll be done on her shoulder next time, as i'm also not keen on her having baldy bits under the saddle. you can still see her mark just about, but it'll be gone in a few years.

My grey was fine when done. It may not be clear when fur grows but should be visible when clipped.
Saying that taz had a clearer mark than my dun!

hoof?

Hi
Wot about using the freezemark on the hoof?! Just a thought....!!
I think scanning will come in and also how could it be removed if someone doesn't know it is there? Sorry mite not be getting the point with that bit!
Good luck with wot ever u decide

newrider.com