Freezing sugerbeet

poppie

Feb 4, 2008
What does everyone do to stop their sugerbeet from freezing?
I've wrapped the bucket up in sacking so hopefully this should stop the water from freezing.

Speedibeet is better in this weather as only needs 10 mins, if you make it with hot water even quicker.:biggrin:

Yes i should of thought of that when i bought the sugarbeet, i've a bin full time to get through :stomp: lol.
Oh well next i will buy speedibeet silly me!

Don't see why not - I bought mine well over a year ago! Still tastes ok so June tells me! I always make sure I get rid of chaff & any mix and dont leave it standing for ages and ages (all feed are un metal bins tho) but sugarbeet lasts forever!

do you have pellets or shreds? Normal shreds will soak in 15 mins in hot water, and are cheaper than speedibeet, but do have molasses.

I will be probably get shouted at, but even pellets will soak quite quickly ( - well an hour) in boiling water.
But why not soak over night in slightly less water than usual, then top up with boiling water about 10 minutes before feeding. Reduced water means less freezing, and the boiling water top-up very quickly removes ice and finishes off the plumping up. And they get a warm meal. If you don't have a socket handy for a kettle, a flask would hold enough to top up for one horse.

Can you not pour boiling water on it before you feed?

That's what I've been doing with my speedi beet to take the chill off it before feeding :smile:

ETA: I do mean once it's already soaked...I understand it needs to be soaked overnight

For those that bought the Lidyls Fleece Rugs that came with the RUBBISH
leg bandages.............

I wrapped my Sugar Beet Bucket in the fleece bandages, lol, and lay the other two over the top.....as yet my Sugar Beet hasn't frozen, but I always
add some boiling water before feeding anyway:wink:

newrider.com