Friendship Training

pengapenga

The Friesian
Sep 12, 2004
Australia
Visit site
Hi

I have just discovered this method of training. It seems quite interesting- I like the idea that it is done at liberty as I do a lot of at liberty work with Frits.

Has anyone tried it?

What do you think of FT?

I have posted the link to the website for your information. Be warned there is a lot of reading and I have only just begun to wade through it all:)
http://www.thenaturalhorse.org/

How did you find this site?? Its right up my street anyway:)

I was chatting to some friesian breeders last night and one of them said they were doing FT. At first I thought she was using the term as a way of bonding:eek: but she told me that it was a training method and said to google FT and I will find the site.

I too thought it was a nice way to train a horse and was wondering if anyone had heard of it or used it:D

how does it actually train the horse? there seems too much information to go through. :eek: i do clicker training which does not use force but this FT says you are not to use it!!!:mad:

I use clicker too as well as a range of NH methods. Somewhere amoung the writings they also say dressage should be ridden without a saddle, interesting:)

Not sure how it works:eek: :) , I was trying to find out more info about it so I can make the decision whether to include some elements of it into my training.

oh right, i would not like to do dressage without a saddle!!! i cheat and use the parelli bareback pad, coz you stick better and it has padding and a handle for those oh oh moments:D
i have done different nh methods like join up, parelli and now doing clicker, i still encorparate (sp?) some parelli things in clicker training and i think the riding aspects of parelli are good!:)

i do clicker training which does not use force but this FT says you are not to use it!!!

Assuming its the same thing, I remember the man behind FT from another forum. Very tunnel vision - its very much his way or no way. Any question posted on said forum was answered with "the only way to really achieve the result is through FT blah blah blah....."

When challenged, he answered in a very long winded way, and never really gave away any information.... that was restricted to people who handed over money. He would answer that FT is the only way, but would not justify it except via vague philosophy. No idea what the quality of his detailed information was like as he never parted with it for free.

I also don't agree with this being one of the advocated exercises:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1107059943052542979mMncvb

Would be interested if you actually get some detail from the system as to be honest I never really got the answers....

Last edited:
The philosophy seems nice, the science seems a bit light and nothing new (in fact some rather out of date ideas) and the writer seems to like using lots and lots of words (hows about a few nice summaries? ;) ).

I think I'd go the same way I go with most approaches - take the best bits, don't do the things that your gut instinct says are wrong and if it works for your horse, everybody wins :)

Assuming its the same thing, I remember the man behind FT from another forum. Very tunnel vision - its very much his way or no way. Any question posted on said forum was answered with "the only way to really achieve the result is through FT blah blah blah....."

When challenged, he answered in a very long winded way, and never really gave away any information.... that was restricted to people who handed over money. He would answer that FT is the only way, but would not justify it except via vague philosophy. No idea what the quality of his detailed information was like as he never parted with it for free.

I also don't agree with this being one of the advocated exercises:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1107059943052542979mMncvb

Would be interested if you actually get some detail from the system as to be honest I never really got the answers....

Looking at his website I got very much the impression of long windedness and little real information:eek: I was hoping someone here would give me some of the answers:eek: :)

capalldubh said:
I think I'd go the same way I go with most approaches - take the best bits, don't do the things that your gut instinct says are wrong and if it works for your horse, everybody wins

I do the same too:)

From what I recall, the FTX's (Friendship Training Exercises) were largely based around feeding. I have a vague recollection of the exercises in some way interfering with or disrupting feeding time until the horse displayed the required response.

I think that's about as much detail as it got :)

From what I've seen I like the looks and the aprouch of it. It seems gentle and what it says I think is in most cases very true:) Theres always going to be someone who disaproves of something, you can't please everyone unless they are ready to except something and hold back judgement untill they have learnt about it fully;)

The idea is indeed very good.

I did ponder about doing FT training but in the end it seemed as if our personalities would clash and also I would have to throw away all the tools I already have.

I would be interested to here how the FTers are doing?

I don't know anyone who has actually gone in to it with all their heart.

:D

I didn't get it at all - was there a link in there to further stuff ? All I coud find was more and moer wordy-words that never really got anywhere :confused:

Behind the wordiness, the gist of the philosophy is to form an equal status peer attachment as opposed to a hierarchical intra-herd bond. When you are the horse's friend, there will be no need for pressure or submission on any level. The method to achieve this is FTX's, which are never explained in detail, but seem to involve exercises around feeding the horse in a field.

He has stated that no other bond compares to the bond formed via FT, which to be frank I find an insult to many wonderful relationships that people have formed naturally or through other methods. According to FT, every other method is a cyclical cause of ongoing problems, not a resolute solution to them.

On a personal level, I find him a bit evangelical, which for me detracts a lot from his philosophy.

Interesting philosophy all the same.

I didn't get it at all - was there a link in there to further stuff ? All I coud find was more and moer wordy-words that never really got anywhere

Ditto, all I found was far too many words telling me how wonderful his methods are and how rubbish the others are and nothing else. I suspect you would have to buy his stuff (probably very expensive but far superior;))to find out anything more:rolleyes:

newrider.com