Friesian& long mane horse owners, what rugs do you use??

peerielee

Jun 6, 2008
Hi, the time has come to buy Vinnie new rugs for the winter. Last year he was 5'6 and now he is just fitting into a 6' thinking to get a 6'3. :eek: I need both a turnout and a stable but am not sure what type to go for. Standard (no neck) standard with neck or full neck. Any advice? Does a full neck rub away at the mane? :eek: i dont want winter to end and Vinnie have no mane. With him being young still i have found Mark Todd, Masta and Weatherbeeta the best fit for him. :)

Any recommendations greatly received :)

I use half neck rugs on my lot, I have lost half the mane off my welsh a, my welsh x arab and my hw cob from full neck rugs:mad:

Well I've just bought Gaz a new TO with detachable neck, only for my friend to tell me that they rub manes - didn't even think about that when I bought it. Much as I don't want her mane rubbed out, really my priorities with her are keeping her cosy. Hate the wintertime when she's stiff, always feel THAT decision isn't far away, so sod her mane!

All I can say is if you are using a neck, I'd keep a really close eye on it.
:)

I had a Friesian I returned but had her 3 months in the winter. I used a snuggy hood under the rugs (rambo, mark todd and horsewear) it worked a treat to stop any dirt and her mane did not rub out...All rug had necks. The other Friesian also wore a snuggy hood under her rugs with full necks and no rubbing of the mane (think the rugs were Shires, Amigo and JHL) I will be using my Snuggy Hood again this winter for my Friesian, I couldn't live with out it. Plus Friesians are black and you can get the black snuggy hood...only problem was trying to find my Friesian (retuned one) and the other Friesian on the yard when it was bring in time, use to confused the yard staff..he..he!

My 2 year old has a 2ft long mane and Ive found that the best rugs for her are combo rugs. The Saxon combo is a great rug and the Landa combo.

She had a Landa with the detachable neck last winter, and it rubbed her mane into knots.

Just reminded me that she's jumped a dress size since then, so need to buy some 5ft 9s now:D

I had a Friesian I returned but had her 3 months in the winter. I used a snuggy hood under the rugs (rambo, mark todd and horsewear) it worked a treat to stop any dirt and her mane did not rub out...All rug had necks. The other Friesian also wore a snuggy hood under her rugs with full necks and no rubbing of the mane (think the rugs were Shires, Amigo and JHL) I will be using my Snuggy Hood again this winter for my Friesian, I couldn't live with out it. Plus Friesians are black and you can get the black snuggy hood...only problem was trying to find my Friesian (retuned one) and the other Friesian on the yard when it was bring in time, use to confused the yard staff..he..he!

Where did you get your snuggy hood from?

***Just found the website***

Thanks

Last edited:
I had to grow my boys mane back near his withers due to a horse munching on him in the lorry *glares* when he came across from wales unhandled. Use a running plait under rugs etc, and plait it looser/tighter each day so different areas take the strain :) and a few days loose etc.

I've got full and long-maned horses - QH and arab.
I'm definitely for standard necks and rugs with nylon lining (WB orican, premier equine, rambo) which rub the least.
Nightmare is my WB taka with brushed cotton lining. Sure, nice and soft but rips out the mane around the withers.

I reserve the detachable necks for extreme weather conditions (like minus 23°C last winter) but the horses are usually warm along their necks, especially under the full mane.

Yes, good choice! I've tried full neck, half neck and detachable necks and found I lost chunks of his mane so I stick to standard rugs now with no neck. I did buy a snuggy rug and found that great but they are expensive and if your horse is playful there is a risk of it being pulled over the eyes, ehich happened to Charlie, hence I no longer have it!

I usually always have full necks in the winter, i always make sure my rugs fit perfectly and i have never had an issue with any rug rubbing anywhere or loosing mane.

newrider.com