Frosted Equines

Maci

Equestrianesse
Aug 3, 2000
Canada
My thread title sounds like an ice cream flavour! :p

Anyways, on my way to school every morning, we pass these stables who leave some of their horses out 24/7, and now that it is cold out, I noticed that their fur becomes frosted (like the ground) in the morning! I know it's no major health problem, but is it okay? Wait, I sound stupid- is it cold for the horse to be frosted, like that? They don't have rugs on, so I assume that they have their full winter coat growing in.

Kind of a silly thread, but I find it humourous in the mornings when we drive past, and I see these horses grazing, with frost-covered backs! :D

Maci :)

Hi the horses are fine even if they have frost on their backs they have a very thick coat this time of year I know that when i thought it was too cold for my horse to stay out and i put him in he hated it so don't worry they like being outside even in cold weather:D :D

Paula:cool:

I popped to mine to break the ice on the trough and give them some hay this morning and they were all really fluffed up.
A full winter coat is fantastic protection - when you put your hands on them you can feel the body heat - toasty!
They only need rugs when it's cold & wet at the same time as once the hair is flattened it doesn't conserve the heat

That's Good To Know!

Well, I'm happy that they aren't affected, thanks! :D They don't seem to be bothered, it just looks odd, like I said before. Thanks again!

Maci :)

newrider.com