Full Livery versus Assisted DIY

cobmum

Sep 13, 2009
Middlewich
So i have been thinking a lot lately about how i will need to keep my furture horse, i work very random shifts which are different each week so there is no way that i could do DIY livery.

However, having seen a few tack shop adverts i would be looking at having to pay £100/£120 a week minimum for 5 day full livery! Although i am sure that these places provide a good service i do feel that its quite steep, I live in south manchester ...so maybe not?

Does anyone have there horse assisted DIY and what kind of service would this entail?

I work away sometimes and also couldn't do DIY so I am on part livery. (Thank goodness as I have been in bed with the flu for a week!)

My livery is £105 a week and includes turning out, bringing in, mucking out etc. But no exercising, grooming. Also includes use of indoor school, outdoor school, round pen and jumping field in the summer. All haylage, bedding and hard feed.

As a novice I have found this great, but if work permitted I would like to do more.

£100 a week for 5 day full livery does seem expensive for up north. Does that include grooming and exercising?

Last edited:
Sorry I know this isn't meant for me as I'm just on grass livery but woah - I couldn't afford a horse if I had to pay that!
I just have to rely on a very nice horsey pal to check my boy on the occasion that I can't make it but he's out 24/7 so it makes things a bit more manageable.

At mine DIY is approx £200 with no extras, just box and grazing but can add extras on for extra cost.
Assisted DIY is the same as part livery except mucking out, so... box, grazing, turnout, bring in, put feed in, rug change etc and is around £350 per month.
Part is everything other than exercising and grooming as is around £450
Full livery is everthing and is almost a whopping £600 per month.
Obviously these prices are due to the area but still a little steep, I was shocked when I first joined NR and read about how little some people charge for DIY, you lucky things!

My horse is on assisted DIY.

I pay £35 livery a week just for a box and grazing.
If I can't get down it is £10 on top of this per day (they muck out, turnout, bring in etc) but I still have to buy all hay/ bedding etc.

Alternatively if I can only get down once a day, I can muck out and turn out. And then its just £1.50 for them to bring him in and give him his din dins! This way really keeps costs down and is flexiable, if I can't get down till later, they turn him out, and then I muck out and bring in.

Must admit, I've been having the same dilemma!

The place I have in mind does full livery and DIY assisted. I initially thought I'd have to go for full livery. It's not too bad cost wise, £80 at week. DIY is £25 but you can go on full livery at an extra £7 a day. Or they charge fee's for just bringing in/turning out, just mucking out, farrier etc.

I'm the same as you in that I also work shifts that vary greatly from week to week! It's only by talking to people at that particular yard I realised that DIY with assistance would probably be the best way to go.

Does anyone have there horse assisted DIY and what kind of service would this entail?

I have mine on DIY, but most people on the yard have assisted DIY. The owner has to come down once during the day (usually evening) but the yard staff put morning feed and net in, change rugs and turn out, and bring in again later. If there is no turnout, the horse is skipped out.

When the owner comes down they muck out, do evening and morning feeds and nets and leave everything ready for the morning. The yard staff will put in evening feed and net if asked, but the owner has to have been down at some time to get them ready and to muck the stable out.

Staff will muck out and do feeds too as a one off or for holiday cover - I think they charge an extra £8 per day for that.

Our basic DIY charge is £45, and assisted is £55 per week.

Must admit, I've been having the same dilemma!

The place I have in mind does full livery and DIY assisted. I initially thought I'd have to go for full livery. It's not too bad cost wise, £80 at week. DIY is £25 but you can go on full livery at an extra £7 a day.

£25 DIY + (7days x£7) = £74 - cheaper than a week's full livery? :confused:

Hmm just had a depressing thought... all the time I spend commuting to work (2h10 mins+ a day) would be easily enough to do all jobs on DIY and ride every day! If I carry on working in London and I want to get my own horse it will have to be on full livery which costs sooo much more! :mad: and my travel card costs me £3,800 a year :eek:

My DIY Liv is £45. per week includes turnout, stable and as much hay as you like. I thought it was quite steep but having read all the other posts I think I am doing Ok.

hmmm...well our yard offers everything from DIY through to full livery.

DIY is £100 per month which includes stable, grazing, unlimited hay/haylage and straw bedding. DIY without a stable is £80 per month (but still includes unlimited hay/haylage.

Assisted DIY is the £100 plus any extras charged individually - so £1 to feed in field, £1 to turnout or bring in, £2.50 for mucking out, £1 for feed

Full Livery is around £156 per month (so everything except exercising) which is really cheap!

Seems like our yard is super cheap compared to everywhere (even locally), and i love it there - not just because its cheap though!! Im on DIY as mine live out 24/7. Theres no way i could afford to have 2 horses on some of the prices you lot pay!!!

hmmm...well our yard offers everything from DIY through to full livery.

DIY is £100 per month which includes stable, grazing, unlimited hay/haylage and straw bedding. DIY without a stable is £80 per month (but still includes unlimited hay/haylage.

Assisted DIY is the £100 plus any extras charged individually - so £1 to feed in field, £1 to turnout or bring in, £2.50 for mucking out, £1 for feed

Full Livery is around £156 per month (so everything except exercising) which is really cheap!

Seems like our yard is super cheap compared to everywhere (even locally), and i love it there - not just because its cheap though!! Im on DIY as mine live out 24/7. Theres no way i could afford to have 2 horses on some of the prices you lot pay!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Think I'll move to Wolverhampton!!!! :D

That full livery does sound like a good deal!!!

Where I was it was £15 per week for stable and grazing

And then £1 for any job (rug on, turn out, feed, make feed etc) although part and full livery were differently priced.

As for the shifts, it really does affect what facilities you want because Ive found places that are cheaper with less facilities (ie no school) generally offer more turn out (the compromise is that the land owner generally doesnt care about the land :rolleyes:)

I make it twice a day and do all sorts of random shifts - occasionally I go once a day (sometimes getting up earlier before a 630 set off is tough!) but she is now out 24/7. Even when she was in at night on previous previous yard I was able to manage her by myself - but she was only about 1mile from home - and she was on the way home, so it makes it much much easier.

newrider.com