Furious! Nasty piece of work..

Barman

Jan 28, 2010
Bolton, Lancashire
I know you dont see me around here much now im so busy with everything at home but im absolutely fuming i dont know where else to go!

Ive had Ted and Freer on Grass livery for 4 weeks now, i made it so clear Ted could not ever be left alone he is very stressy and will injure himself. She kept bringing her mare in and leaving him so thats why i sent my other mare over to keep him company.

Ive just decided im going to start doing some work with Freer so wanted her back with me, in which case thought it would be best to bring Ted back too so hes not panicking.

I told her yesterday morning i was collecting them in the evening. She seemed fine.

I then get a phonecall saying shes brought my horses in as Ted was being naughty in the field :confused: hes been out there a month and never been complained about before, infact the day before they were saying how lovely he was!

So she rings and says Freer is in the stable fine but Ted is going mad so its my own fault if anything happens.. well i was annoyed he'd been brought in but fair enough if hes being naughty in the field then its only a couple of hours til we was picking him up.. she said hes got haylage and water and hes just weaving badly..

So 6pm we turned up, Ted going crazy. He's in a barn with a metal gate (with a large piece of wood over it so whatever is in there cant get its legs through i assume) I saw freer she was fine, in a block with 4 empty stables next to her.

I tried to calm Ted down not having looked over the gate yet, my YO's who came with me to collect them came over and her face just changed and she was almost crying.. she just said oh my god look at his legs.. hes in with a tractor'

This girl has gone and put him in a barn with an old military style jeep knowing full well hes a panicky horse and hes cut his back legs open! She chose to do this even though there were empty stables available he could have gone in for a few hours. I know shes done it on purpose because im leaving but to take it out on an animal.. im absolutely furious! I was shaking for hours last night, vet has been up and hes on bute now and antibiotics.

Another thing, my mare has had quite a nasty cut which i wasnt notified about, no idea how shes done it but this is also very infected. They were supposed to get daily checks that is what i was paying for.. why would they not inform the owner of an injury like this!

I dont know what to do, i dont think i legally have a case, police wont do anything, rspca arent interested.. even though i have reported that the yard is a danger with machinary lying around and tubs of rat poison on the floor outside the stables with no lids on or anything.. theres also dogs and chicken roaming around which could easily eat the poison.

Im so upset and angry. More so for Ted, hes been through so much, an accident is one thing but this was unnecessary injury hes gone through all because she was annoyed with me!

Is there anything i can do? I cant send her the vet bill i know she wont pay it! She cant keep getting away with this though, she was caught not long ago beating a horse on the floor with chains.. (ive only just found this out!) how can these people just get away with stuff like this :mad:

Shes got an advert on preloved advertising this summer grazing so more horses could go through this and theres nothing i can do :(

Here are some pictures.. the thing that was in with him, his injuries and freers leg (shes the dark bay)

27052010116.jpg

27052010117.jpg

27052010119.jpg

27052010121.jpg

27052010122.jpg

27052010123.jpg

Last edited:
OMG poor Ted!! :mad: (although your photos were all of the truck?!)

Did you have any form of livery agreement or contract on the yard? without one I'm not sure how easy it would be to report her or gain any form of compensation.

I hope both Ted and Freer make a speedy recovery!

Oh my god that's awful. Poor Ted. Poor you! What a *!&(*!!! :mad::mad::mad: Are you sure the RSPCA won't do anything surely that is deliberate cruelty to an animal??

yeah i posted all of the truck by mistake. Ive put the others on now. Nope no contract. I know theres nothing i can do, im just so angry shes going to get away with it :(

I would have thought there is a line of complaint as YO have a duty of care for horses on their premises under the Horse welfare Act - google it on line and see where you need to go to and send them the pics you have as well.
Everyone is accountable its finding the right place to start and being brave enough to take it to the conclusion in some cases.....

What awful injuries, do hope all improves well with them.......

Good luck

Oh my god that's awful. Poor Ted. Poor you! What a *!&(*!!! :mad::mad::mad: Are you sure the RSPCA won't do anything surely that is deliberate cruelty to an animal??

Yeah they are 'looking into it' said it can take weeks though so they are in no rush. So i just hope they do follow it through. Im glad i took photos as im sure they will remove all evidence by now!

on a footnote, you have had and paid for your horse on Livery , you have a verbal contract which is enforceable in law, I had this with land rentral not so long back, cost me about £10 to get legal advice and script off line to back up my claim.

I would have thought there is a line of complaint as YO have a duty of care for horses on their premises under the Horse welfare Act - google it on line and see where you need to go to and send them the pics you have as well.
Everyone is accountable its finding the right place to start and being brave enough to take it to the conclusion in some cases.....

What awful injuries, do hope all improves well with them.......

Good luck

Oh thanks, ill take a look at that and see if they can help! thankyou :)

I know it's a bit late for you Barman, but will anyone who is reading this please, please ensure they have a written contract in place with wherever they keep their horse. It will help give you a legal standing should anything like this happen.

And Barman, I'm not a violent person but I would have had to have been held back from your YO. Evil woman. As has been said above, there may still be legal routes you can take. She absolutely should be held to account for her actions. Just make sure you don't compromise yourself legally with libel or slander in the meantime (I'm assuming you're already aware of this as you haven't mentioned her name).

Oh no i wont mention her name or the farm. I know i could get done for slander.

Yeah thats really why i wanted to get this out there, to encourage people to be so careful where they keep their horses, and i know now to always get a written contract. I never expected this though im so upset, its common sense not to put a horse in with something like that, especially one you know stesses when alone :(

It wasnt even the YO whos done it, its a girl who keeps her horses on the farm.. shes the one who has the advert up so i dont know if its on behalf of the farmer or shes sub letting :confused:

Ive tried ringing the farm but no answer yet.

It wasnt even the YO whos done it, its a girl who keeps her horses on the farm.. shes the one who has the advert up so i dont know if its on behalf of the farmer or shes sub letting :confused:

Unfortunately that may mean there isn't much you can do, as I'm not sure if you have any legal relationship with other yard users. Still, worth looking into, and letting the YO know about any potential sub letting issues.

The sight of the blood on the floor made me feel sick - I cant believe that someone would put a horse in there without realising what could happen, so to me it would appear that she's done it knowing what would happen.
:mad:

Personally, if it was my horse that she'd done it too - she wouldnt have been left standing when I'd finished with her - there was no need to put your poor horse through all this.

As for Freers leg, again she must have known about the cut? I know you cant say who or where this is, but lets hope that no other horse goes through the same at her hands.

Hope both your poor horses get better soon.

Ok. It does not matter you did not have a contract. She was being employed to look after your horses and as such has a duty of care towards them while in her care. As such you can sue her for damages or the vet bill, any loss of value, earnings etc....

Your best route is cab who will have free legal advice followed by a small claims court settlement as it's a civil matter.

Also check your car, house etc insurance who may provide free legal advice also.

I hope they both recover ok.

The sight of the blood on the floor made me feel sick - I cant believe that someone would put a horse in there without realising what could happen, so to me it would appear that she's done it knowing what would happen.
:mad:

Personally, if it was my horse that she'd done it too - she wouldnt have been left standing when I'd finished with her - there was no need to put your poor horse through all this.

As for Freers leg, again she must have known about the cut? I know you cant say who or where this is, but lets hope that no other horse goes through the same at her hands.

Hope both your poor horses get better soon.

Oh believe me i wanted to sort this out the not so legal way but i have 2 young children so i really need to try keep my calm. Its so hard though, when we brought him out he looked so relieved we was there, he was shaking in the trailer but he didnt kick off like normal he just stood there pawing the ground as if to say please lets just go :( Freer wouldnt load so we had to leave her, take Ted home and whilst i tried to calm him down and wait for the vet they went back for her without the partition in the trailer she loaded fine then.

How could she not have noticed freers leg! She rang me yesterday morning saying how much she likes her and wants to buy her so they must have been looking at her. I mean shes not for sale but even if she was theres no way she'd be going there for no amount of money but as for the cut shes just left it to get infected.. in the worst time of year with all the flies so we have caught it just in time.

My poor babies :(

It does not matter you did not have a contract. She was being employed to look after your horses and as such has a duty of care towards them while in her care. As such you can sue her for damages or the vet bill, any loss of value, earnings etc....

Your best route is cab who will have free legal advice followed by a small claims court settlement as it's a civil matter.

Also check your car, house etc insurance who may provide free legal advice also.

Absolutely - brilliant advice Ceiron. And if you feel you're not getting anywhere with whoever you contact (RSPCA etc) then make a nuisance of yourself. Phone them everyday. Pester them UNTIL they do something - they'll soon get fed up with you. You have PAID this woman to take care of your horses and she has NOT done this - if you have it, keep the evidence of you paying her. Ideally a receipt but proof you withdraw money to give to her, texts you/she has sent previous regarding her care for the horses, ANYTHING to prove she was caring for them.

I'd be pretty sure you'd have a case as the injuries were far worse than I was expecting. I'm sorry I can't be anymore help other than to suggest gaining proof of anything you can to show people were aware of how Ted behaves on his own, monies paid and so on, and make a pain in the arse of yourself to keep the ball rolling.

Please keep us updated - you have all of us behind you x

oh my god. I am so sorry that both your horses have suffered such awful injuries. i hope they cause them no long term damage or issues. :( What a completely evil b*tch.
I wonder if the BHS would be able ot give you any advice on where you stand legally etc?

I dont do confrontation but I think I would have slapped her

I cant believe someone who works with horses could be so cruel and thoughless.

You have photographic evidence, keep the vet's bills, insurance forms etc - You have to take this further cos she shouldnt be allowed to get away with doing this to your horse, let alone be allowed to carry on working with animals.

Poor, poor ted...It actually brings tears to my eyes.

This kind of thoughtless behaviour makes me so cross. Those are really nasty injuries. I'd be mad as hell.

Frances and I have just changed our arrangements for a show we are goign to. They allow corraling, but only one pony/horse per pen. Our lot travel in the lorry together, stable together, pen up on the show ground together, they are never apart. In fact when we are in the show ring with the pair, Frances has to take the spare pony along to watch or he stresses.

NO WAY would they accept that our 3 would be fin (we have been doing this for the past 4 years) it's one horse per pen or nothing. We said thank you nothing, we have made alternative arrangements to stay where we can keep our horses so we know they will be safe.

LOL, just remembered making arrangement at one yard, booked one stable, came with 3 ponies, the head girl threw a hissy fit, no way could we put 3 in together without a fight. She went to the boss, the boss looked out, waved to me, and said to the head girl, "Oh it's Jo, that's cool" :D :D

Last edited:
newrider.com