Gah... been offered a "free" horse

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
I'm not sure what to do. A friend has messaged me saying the breeder of her wee pony are in trouble and they have a horse who, if friend vouched for me, I could have. They are in co. Cork.

Would it be incredibly stupid of me to be even thinking of taking it?

16.1 6yo skewbald mare, owner thinks she would make a good eventer (ideally I'd be looking for an allrounder so she could be if what they are saying is true), she is backed but green.

Can you afford to? if so then have you the time with rubics ongoing issues?
if so have the means, grazing etc - if all the answers are yes then why the hell not, unfortunately there is no such thing as a free horse even if they cost you nothing initially, the ongoing costs usually far outweight the initial.

I think with Rubic as is then it would be good for you.

hm if you weren't planning on getting another at the moment I would decline. on the spot decisions are not always a great idea when it comes to horse ownership (unless you have your own land etc etc).

The right moment? But think carefully as there are lots of nice horses available just now - or so it seems from my horsey facebook groups.

How lovely. Can you try the horse? Exactly why is it free? Even for free Id want to try to see what it was like and wether I clicked with it.
Remember what ever the purchase price, a horse is always expensive to keep.
Its a lovely special offer though. x

I was thinking about another but I don't really have the money to buy the kind of horse I would want (riding club allrounder) outright. I thought about a share horse but it'd need to be near current yard as that'd be too much travelling then I thought about a loan horse but really I'd only be able to keep a second if one was at grass (new one would need to be at grass until Rubic was able to go out in a field 24/7 and then they'd switch - however if Rubic ever needed it the stable would be there). So potential horse would have to live out (ideally both would live out but with Rubic's injury I'd need a stable just in case).

Really this comes down to whether the farmer and yard manager would allow another grass livery or if I could find grass livery (with 1 stable) somewhere else. Or if someone comes along who'd pay the livery and bedding costs of new horse:giggle:

The sensible part of me is saying no but I suppose it is nice to dream!

How lovely. Can you try the horse? Exactly why is it free? Even for free Id want to try to see what it was like and wether I clicked with it.
Remember what ever the purchase price, a horse is always expensive to keep.
Its a lovely special offer though. x

It's in Ireland so I'd need to travel over there to see her and pay for transport for her to come over here.

Apparently the breeder of my friends pony is struggling, can't take care of all the horses and is going to put some of them down (typical story eh?). He doesn't want to sell them but if he can find homes for them with people he knows (with good references) he'd gift the horse to them.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking no. Sometimes it takes writing everything down to make things clear in your head! Unless I win the lottery in the next week then I can't really afford a second without giving up my flat or something!

She sounds a really nice type, and really nice types over here are still fetching a good price. Which is why I would question very carefully why she is a freebie.

If the breeders are in trouble, one would assume that they would be wanting and needing to gather some euros together, rather than giving away their stock?

I really would like, for your sake after all your heartbreak with Rubic, that this was a genuine opportunity. But knowing the horse world over here as I now do, I am cynical of the offer to say the least.:frown:

I am assuming she is just backed because she has been used as a brood mare? A just backed 6yo could be harder that a newly backed youngster to deal with. I think with all your problems with Rubic you would be better getting something ready to ride and have fun on.

Sadly there are almost inevitably problems with 'free' horses.

Yes EML and Cortrasna, you are both right. As much as I trust my friend I'm not sure I trust the people talking to her. It does sound too good to be true - surely it'd cost more to put the horses down than it would to sell them, even cheaply! There are probably many flaws in it somewhere. I know stuff like this happens but probably not to me!

I think I should just stick with my original plan which was to go for a few lessons a month at a riding school to enjoy some ridden horsey time and keep Rubic as happy as I can. Maybe in a few years I could get another. Rubic turned up when I wasn't looking so I'm sure another horse will turn up when I least expect it and probably when things are a bit brighter for me!

Agree completely with cortrasna. Plus by the time you go.see it and bring it home it will cost you about £700! Seems a nice idea but id think carefully!!

I am assuming she is just backed because she has been used as a brood mare? A just backed 6yo could be harder that a newly backed youngster to deal with. I think with all your problems with Rubic you would be better getting something ready to ride and have fun on.

Sadly there are almost inevitably problems with 'free' horses.

^^^This was my thought too^^^

Becca wasn't free but she was cheaper and a 7yr brood mare. I was lucky for her to come to me for a month so I would certainly be wary of not trying. On top of this...after the money spent out on correct tack, bit trials, rugs, back/pelvis etc I've probably spent what I would've done on a been there done it with full wardrobe, all ready to get out there. Instead I've spent the same amount but have a very long process ahead, although very rewarding. Of course we don't even know if this one was a broodmare and we can easily make assumptions about what sounds like a lovely horse but without trying it's certainly a difficult one.

I think you were right to put the question out there though because I'm one of these that needs to write it down etc to help make the decision.

Saying all this, bargains do come up and I definitely think you should keep your eyes and ears open but perhaps a little closer to home :wink:

Last edited:
Lovely thought but I would decline. I would wait and see how Rubric was being introduced to being out etc before I maybe considered a loan or found something to help out with.

TBH I think you're making a sensible decision to say no, but I can see why you'd be tempted! There are always free or very cheap horses needing homes so I'm sure if in a couple of years you're feeling properly prepared to get another you'll be able to find something else :)

Yes I think I would wait and see how things pan out with Rubic. You have enough trouble on your plate atm and money still seems to be tight for everyone. Its nice to dream though isn't it:smile:

What about looking at the horse charities what is available for loan?

The free one may of been ideal if it was in uk and close to view, I agree with sunshine the expenses of getting there to view and getting it an yourself shipped back will soon add up

There are lots of horses on the Horse4Homes website and many of them are rideable and you can go and see them.

There was a nice freisian I was told about, young, rideable.

I was offered quite a few from there after I had bought Buddy.

I had a look at Horses4Homes before I decided against another horse D&T. They do have some lovely horses and if I do find the money for another then I'd certainly consider looking there.

It's just one of those things isn't it!? I'd decided not to look for another because of time and money and I decided that I'd actually be happier just getting a few lessons every month and also riding the odd friends horse here and there but then someone messages me with a free horse and it just made me think. Like I said earlier, writing it down made it clearer to me that the time is not right and the horse isn't right for me either. I wouldn't mind having to put in a bit of work however after everything that has happened with Rubic (and putting in the work to get her going nicely) I think I could do with a break. No expectations and no pressure, just having fun riding.

timing is always a pain, I would not have got bud if molly hadn't died, and I really did wonder about whether I should or not. Having got him, I bless his little cotton socks daily as he gives me such joy, despite almost dumping me last night with a wonderful I see a dragon in the hedge spook and spin.....

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts. I don't think anyone would give away a good horse as hood horses still fetch good money.

newrider.com