Gah, Damn and Blast, SADDLES!!!

Showjumper

Ex Member
Dec 30, 2000
:rolleyes: Surprise, surprise, the lovely little Saddle Company saddle that was fitted to Dylan 2 weeks ago doesn't fit anymore :( It was deliberately fitted slightly wide and in the time it's taken me to find a decent pad to go under it, he's completely changed shape, his back's come up and the atrophy's gone, and last night Sam noticed it wasn't right. This evening I popped it on him again and I reckon the tree is now too curved for his back :wall: When he's stood still, the pommel is way too high but there's no bridging and the front isn't too narrow. Push down on the pommel and the back swings up. Not sure even Saddle Company saddles can have the actual tree shape adjusted, just the width...

Tried my Fitform and Freeform on him, not expecting much since the last time I put them on him they looked like rugs! But this evening, the Fitform actually looks rather nice on him! The Freeform is definitely too long but the Fitform will work.

You'd think this would be good news except...1) it's the wrong colour (I know, vanity...), 2) it has no knee rolls, 3) It won't look great in the show ring (yes, vanity again but this pony is so fancy that he really needs to go to parties!)

Soooooo...Saddle Company saddle will soon be on Ebay (after I've checked with my Bowen lady that the tree shape can't be changed) and I'll crack on with backing him in the Fitform, while looking out for something else to put on him for shows.

Ho hum, life would be so boring if it wasn't for ponies!

Saddles are pain in the bum!

Been there and done it with saddle company saddles - def not for us

I'm really surprised that a saddle would be fitted to a horse for it not to fit only 2 weeks later :confused:

Surely 2 weeks wouldn't make the fit that different and surely the saddle should be fitted with a view to further muscling out taking place :confused:

Hi
Had my scs for 11 months and the saddle never fitted the horse from day one. I had the scs fitter out on several occasions and said it was ok. She eventually admitted that the saddle was too narrow and would have to be sent back for adjustments and I would have to pay 50.00 for every adjustment as this could be more than one occassion. My horse has been in pian when ridden so I thought enough is enough and I have recently purchased a new one and it fits perfectly. If I had any problems with the saddle after the first two weeks the fitter would have come out and adjusted untill the saddle was ok free of charge then a three month check after also free of charge. The fitter stayed with me and my horse for well over a hour doing lots of different things i.e jumping and I was impressed with the servive he gave. I nowtoohave a scs for sale.

Bid * 62 youve bought a new Saddle co saddle or a new different type of saddle?

Im looking at changing mine. :( But I have no idea who to fit and what saddle to buy. Bearing in mind I cant afford another new saddle. :mad:

My Bowen lady who's also a Saddle Company saddle fitter fitted it for me. Unfortunately we couldn't do a complete fitting cause Dylan was particularly upset and not particularly cooperative at the time so we adjusted the saddle slightly wide compared to a wither template I had (I wasn't charged for the fitting) and a few days later when I popped it on him, it looked ok but a little low at the front like you'd expect of a slightly too wide saddle.

Since then I've moved yards to somewhere where he's happier, we have hills and he's exercising more, hence building muscle pretty quick. He's also put on weight now he's not being a stress head and has been walking out in hand which has further muscled him up.

So yup, a long of change in two weeks! Bloomin shame about the saddle though, it is rather gorgeous!

Just a thought, you're a tiny wee thing aren't you? Could you get a pony freeform:)? Do they not go up to about a 16 1/2 inch seat?

I use the expression tiny in relation to the likes of me who needs her 18" seat:).

The Freeform Juniors aren't being made anymore :( Which is a real pity as that would have been perfect! But when I got Dylan I didn't think one would work on him as he was such a funny shape but now he's muscled up and evened out, it would be perfect. The only one left however is pink...which I'd love, but he wouldn't and it would definitely be frowned upon in the show ring!

My neighbour has the second to last Freeform Junior made in green that I might try on him to drive myself mad...or I could just stick with the Fitform while I look for something else...am wondering whether the Sensation saddles come in a small enough size...

Bid * 62 youve bought a new Saddle co saddle or a new different type of saddle?

Im looking at changing mine. :( But I have no idea who to fit and what saddle to buy. Bearing in mind I cant afford another new saddle. :mad:

Hi

Visit the website www.thetackmansaddler.co.uk, his name is Ray and you will find his address and tele no. He is good. Quite a few people have brought these saddles on the yard where my horse is stabled. The saddle is made by a company called uk saddles and you can visit their site www.uksaddlesltd.com and they are made by adam ellis. They are a society of master saddlers and this is stamped on the underside of the saddle flap with its own unique number.
Happy surfing

I feel for you.... been there done that...more than a few times.

You might look into a flex panel saddle,,, there area a couple of makers of these kinds of saddle in the UK but I forget the names off the top of my head.
I just sold mine because DH was laid off...but is a nice saddle for the ever changing horse shape.;) Will always fit well.

There are also "Balance Saddles"...pretty high end but haven't heard a bad thing about their saddles yet.

I am down to a Treefree..which I love and a Thorowgood Endurance saddle. Both fit her well.. and with the Fishe in the Thorowgood..you can adjust gullet width some.

Hiya

Usually, if the pommel can be pushed down which creates lift at the back, it means the saddle is too wide and this can remedied with shimming. As you haven't got any bridging, this could work. The amount of space that is created under the back of the saddle equals the thickness you need at the front to balance the saddle. However, if this space is more than 1/2", then it will be thrown completely out of balance if needing more than this amount of thickness in shimming.

Also, rather than look how high the pommel and cantle sit in relation to each other, look at how the area of the seat where you sit relates to his back. The flat section of the seat should sit parallel to his back (pre or post shimming) which shows the saddle is balanced. The pommel could look higher because his whole shape has lifted the whole saddle rather than him just getting wider at the front.

HTH

P.S The Pink and Black Junior has gone but I am "trying" to talk Zeina & Guenda into an alternative production of this gorgeous little saddle!

I can't shift my saddle company saddles at all - will be giving them away at this rate but does make me wonder why they won't sell.

Ours never fitted after the fitting - biggest waste of money i have ever spent in my life. I could have had a new barnsby and more.

Due to them not selling and no money to play with i went for a synthetic - one that fitted was a thorowgood T6 hi wither - lets just say i have my old horse back!!. He used to work in his own natural outline and was eager and willing. I was dubious about his old wintecs because when i went to tack up he would turn away and i put it down to the tack as everything else was checked. His work in his wintecs tho was always forward and free. None of what i experienced when he had the SC's on. Either my horse is clear in telling me or they fitted that badly he had no choice but to scream it out.

First saddle co on him was ok - second time on trying to ride i had full on napping and rearing - it was obvious it was the saddle - but had a master fitter confirm and write a report. The saddle was too wide. My GP was over stuffed the pressure of the panels was all on the outside causing spine pressure and pelvic pressure. Hence refusing to go anywhere but up in the air vertically. After 2 more attempts at fitting them i called it a day. I had wasted 5 months already and my horse was only 5 just turned 6 and all i was teaching him was pain.....

Bought new saddle and haven't looked back - it took a while to get his confidence and mine back ridden wise. Millions of mounting lessons again as he just refused to stand since having the SC's on. All he expected was pain!

Now i have my happy ponio back - stands to be mounted (major result was sat when he stood rock still at new place to be mounted) walk trot and canter all there and happy to move forward.

My only advice now is stick with your gut instincts - if you feel its not right it probably isn't Just wish i'd stuck to mine - looking back its easy to see, shame i wasted so much time.

Last edited:
newrider.com