Gaited horses

Kinvaras

Jun 1, 2008
Are there someone that discovered the excitement of riding horses with more than the usual 3 paces? T.ex. horses that hastölt and flying pace?

After years with "usual" horses I tried something new - and I am now absolutely hooked on Icelandic horses! Riding "only" 3 gaited horses will now be so boring.....:D:eek:

Last edited:
I've never ridden a gaited horse but would love to. There are lots of people on here with Icelandics so I'm sure you'll get some better answers soon!

I've got a standardbred ex-pacer. He can now trot and canter 'properly' but can also pace when confused / excited / angry / i feel like showing off. Brilliant for jumping cos if he gets the striding wrong he can pull out a strange one from nowhere! and can keep up with the hunting field at full gallop from a pace!!

Hia,

I tried it 7 years ago...i now have 5!

Competion is my main thing but a good Tolt around the woods is heavenly on a sunny evening!

Click on my profile gotta few pics of my gang on there and (if i do say so myself)my stunning foal born in April :D

Think he's going to be the only palomino Icy stallion in the country *looks smug* :D

Where did you ride Icys?

oh yeh i find when i ride *normall* horses very boring and it looks abit odd when u try and ask a 16.2 to tolt!

I can only ride gaited horses now. No more trotters for me.

Am down to one grey Icelandic mare and they are a lot of fun.:D

Ditto! I cant stand *normal* horses now!They bore me to tears! And isit just me or do all tb's look the same?! Whatever colour they they still seem to look the same.

Mind you ifits not an Icy now i dont wanna look at it!

I found a silver dapple pinto the other day...really wouldnt mind that!

Icelandics are devine, clever and quick witted, but so laid back on the ground, but fast under saddle

I've never ridden an Icelandic, but I ride Mountain Horses that do a 4 beat lateral gait. My bad back makes trotters nearly an impossibility for me. A lot of people seem to think that to ride a gaited horse you just sit there, but I discovered that it takes just as much work only in a different way,lol.

I'd love to try and Icelandic at some point, but they're pretty rare over here.

I used to own an American Standardbred - he was a trotter but would free pace as well - we sued to do endurance riding together. I also have an American Saddlebred - mine hasn't shown any extra gaits - but his full brother owned by a friend is 5 gaited. I don't show, my friend does - but she does NOT use any artifical aids on her horse!!! & he does very well showing! Two of my arab mares would pace!

newrider.com