Galloping phantom pregnancy

Jane&Ziggy

Learning together!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Our little rescue bitch Maggie was in season about 6 weeks ago. She had it away on a number of occasions with our (neutered) Working Cocker but not with any other dog. And now she thinks she is pregnant.

We have two pairs of full teats and a clingy licky dog who keeps looking for places to den, preferably in our duvet.

She can't be pregnant, because Corky has no balls! Is there anything we can do, or to we just have to wait for it to go away?

Jane&Ziggy

Learning together!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
No: but I am as certain as can be that she is not pregnant. She was not left alone or let out of the house/garden the whole time she was on heat.

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Our first dog used to have these. I was little so can't remember but mum says getting her spayed was the only way to fix it,she had to have antibiotics as got an infection apparently from the milk production.
She actually still made dens now and again after been spayed and the vets said just to let her and basically get it out her system as she didn't suffer anxiety or any bad side effects. I do remember many years later when our cat had kittens,when the cat went out Kizzy our dog used to go and collect the 2 kittens and take them to her basket, Ziggy the cat would then take them back when she came in. Kizzy was obviously just very keen to be a mum.

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
The vet needs to see her to rule out infection. Other than that and making sure she's not self licking to stimulate lactation itn's usually a case of waiting for it to pass. If you don't think you're going to breed from her have her speyed. That usually prevents it happening again and will also mean she won't be at risk from pyometra which is potentially fatal and more likely as a bitch gets older. But I would definitely have her checked out by your vet.