General bit advice please. And where can I buy a hanging cheek lozenge link bit?

ce55ie

Aug 2, 2009
13.2hh cob, 6 years old, currently in a 2-ring dutch gag happy mouth flexi mullen (had when bought him). Have been riding him with the reins on the large "snaffle ring" as I'm not a fan on the dutch gag in general particularly as he carried his head quite high anyway and he's not proven to be too strong, riding him in a running martingale simply as a safety precaution, cuz he does throw his head a bit (though mostly due to flies annoying him on hacks!).

I'd like to try him in a new bit since he mouths and chews the happy mouth and it's become rough and don't particularly want another dutch gag.

I don't want an eggbut joint would rather a mullen, french link or lozenge? Anyone tell me pros and cons of French link v Lozenge?

Unsure whether to go for a loose ring, eggbut or a hanging cheek. Considered a full cheek to aid with steering but he absolutely adores knocking things of fences etc with his head when being tacked up/untacked so I'd rather not have anything potentially sticking out! How much poll pressure does the hanging cheek give - the general consensus is it has more than an ordinary snaflle, but elsewhere I've read that the poll pressure is actually negligible, and the way the bit is held slightly higher in the mouth can be beneficial for some horse.

Since the happy mouth has proven chewable, should I go for stainless steel or a 'warmer' metal - copper/mix? Or just a stronger plastic, as his happy mouth is one of the more rubbery ones.

So I want something fairly mind, I'm considering a hanging cheek with a lozenge, but can't find one anywhere except Neue Schule. I'd rather pay <£30 since I don't even know if he will take to the bit.

Sorry for length of post, please reply with any thoughts/experience at all !

Sorry to see you've had no replies as I'm not really that knowledgeable about bits and their action.

From my own experience, and I've tried hundreds of bits on all my horses, they really do like a mullen or a ported mouth pelham and they work beautifully in these in the show ring. Sometimes we use them for hacking even though they aren't strong horses as they do really like them.

However, occasionally we like to work them in a snaffle as this is what is required for dressage and sometimes life is easier with just the one rein. I haven't found much difference between the French link and the lozenge though I mostly use the KK Sprenger bits as I "think" they must prefer the warmer metal.

With my Irish Draught I used a full cheek to aid with steering but didn't see much benefit so now he is in a loose ring KK Sprenger. I was advised to use a loose ring as he does come above the bit and apparently the slight movement of the loose rings helps with this.

My TB has caused us most problems though. After paying a fortune at a Hilary Vernon bitting clinic, he was fitted with a hanging cheek with a lozenge which was thought to be the best for him. Several months later he was getting more and more pottery and what my RI thought was bridle lameness. After several visits from an equine body worker who found he was absolutely fine when ridden bareback and in just a headcollar she started ruling things out the equation. Eventually it was found that it was the bit causing the problems. Don't know why but he hated it with a vengeance. The body worker said it doesn't create poll pressure but said that she has come across a lot of horses who really dislike this kind of bit. As he is an extremely sensitive type with a tendency to work behind the bit she recommended an eggbutt rather than loose ring. We chose the Neue Schule eggbutt with a lozenge which he works very nicely in but not as nice as the pelham!

What size bit does your horse take as you could borrow my hanging cheek which is 5.25".

I had a long bit search last year for my boy and eventually settled for the neue schule tranz link lozenge with cartwheel cheeks. Lozenge is supposed to be kinder because it sits flatter on the tongue and doesn't pinch so much. Even a french link still gives you that nutcracker action.

The neue schule was good but for the last 6 months I've had a myler bit with hanging cheek and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. I would advise now to go for anything that has independent movement (each side moves independently of the other) rather than conventional nutcracker action.

Hope this helps - it's a minefield I know!:rolleyes:

I generally school in a hanging cheek french link which Fabio seems to like. He doesn't like 'nutcracker' bits. Have tried him in a normal french link but the hanging cheek does encourage the head to drop slightly and gives marginally more control!

I'm having a play about with a full cheek lozenge link at the minute though whilst he's learning to jump as he's not fully listening to my steering aids!!! Seems to be going nicely in that too - its the copper mouth piece. :)

newrider.com