General

Roseanne

Apr 27, 2003
Surrey
Visit site
Anyone got advice for dealing with the most infuriating, inflexible, totally arrogant person who is never wrong, and never apologises, for anything, and never, ever, listens, so they get the wrong end of the stick before you've got the words out of your mouth? (No, not me CVB, but I think you could probably help me with this person :(

I keep crossing swords with this person, and it's really getting me down, as I've never met anyone as self-deluding and incapable of accepting opinions other than their own?

I'm trying hard not to let them get to me, but they put me on edge every time I'm around them, and actually, at my age, I should be able to! Grrrrrrrh!

Roseanne

a) avoid them completely
b) kill them with kindness

One thing that helps me deal with difficult people is to pity them. So rather than being mad at them for being smarty pants I can feel sorry for them for being ignorant and clueless. You could try that as well.

my solution would be not to deal with them

if this person really rubs you the wrong way so badly i personally would say to them in a polite manner

' i do not feel that there is any benefit to continuing this conversation & our discussions often leave me fatigued , i would prefer it if you would go about your own business in future & not make attempts to engage me in such discussions or offer your unprompted opinions'

piece said i would walk away not leaving the person in question with oppertunity to retort

sounds harsh but life is too short & we have plenty of valid things to worry about without people like this adding to them IMO

be really nice to them! i know that sounds weird but if you are over the top nice, then it can really get to some people!!!! thats what was like with my old YO.

Reply:
"Well that's your opinion, and I do see your point." Big smile. Don't even bother with the BUT...

It suggests they have a right to an opinion - which they do - but that you don't necessarily buy into it. You can repeat this sort of mantra whether you agree with them or not. Eventually they will understand that it means the point is not open for discussion, and you will do things your way.

K

andreaB said:
if this person really rubs you the wrong way so badly i personally would say to them in a polite manner

' i do not feel that there is any benefit to continuing this conversation & our discussions often leave me fatigued , i would prefer it if you would go about your own business in future & not make attempts to engage me in such discussions or offer your unprompted opinions'
The only problem with that is memorizing it!

KarinUS said:
b) kill them with kindness
That always works - or just agree and nod to everything they say

I've spent my whole life knowing people like this. I'm gettnig better as I get older but when I first meet them I'm usually beaten down by them. Like I'm not confident enough to question anything they say and I'm stupid if I disagree because how could I possibly know more. The more I get to know them the more I realise what idiots they are.

I'm growing up now and I just pity these people. Why feel they need to prove themselves to me? They just like the sound of their own voice and usually I listen to nothing they say.

Ro Sham Bo 'em

Failing that try and keep out of their way and if that's not possible remember the old saying:

"Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer"

It can be difficult but it works as you know what they're up to and they're kept off keel because they wonder what the hell you're up to!

newrider.com