Getting a Foreign Passport Updated - It is Possible!

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
I've been trying but failing to get in touch with my passport issuer for the last year and a half to update my horse's passport:redcarded: I've even tried their sister company in America (the GCDHA). Yesterday I had a complete clear out of my paperwork and finding my passport decided to have yet another little search around the internet. This time I came across some information on the British Equestrian Federation website.

http://www.bef.co.uk/Downloads/Application Form - Non-UK EU Passport - Final 2009.pdf

It would seem that they are happy to update your passport, registering the horse on their database and updating the ownership details.

I called their helpline as I have a couple of issues -
1. My horse is listed as a stallion on the passport however he is gelded and my vet issued a letter to confirm this. and
2. My vet refused to update the markings on my passport.

They were more than happy to acknowledge the letter confirming his snip but told me it was unacceptable for the vet to refuse to update my horse's markings on the passport. I'm a bit peeved as I paid the vet to update my passport and they issued this letter about him being gelded instead (charging me as expected). Now I'll have to demand they update my passport properly to which they will obviously try to make an additional charge.:stomp: I'm not particularly good at complaining so I will likely swallow the cost grumpily. I think I might change my vet after this.

Apologies if everyone already knew all this but hopefully some poor sod like me will find this info useful! Also, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I wanted to post it somewhere so people could find it and passports are related to travel?!:unsure:

Why wouldnt your vet update his markings, are they new markings or is it doind the markings onto a passport that doesnt have any on it ?

I know the france gallop they get weatherbys to deal with the paper work and then wetherbys send the detaild to france and they issue the passport.

Have you tried defa to see who in the uk would deal with any passporting detaild here on behalf of the issuer ?

Tbh I can't actually remember what his explanation was - it was around a year ago (vaccination time!) He was pretty evasive, I understand partly, he didn't want to confirm he was a gelding so just wrote me a letter stating the following -

This is to certify that the above horse was examined on this date and no testicles were palpable. There are two scrotal scars.

Don't you just love the litigious society in which we now live!

I didn't know to check with Defra though, thanks LL I will go check just now!

newrider.com