Getting a loan horse?

elsie05

Jan 22, 2022
I have been riding once a week for well over a year now and I absolutely love it!
I am now considering getting a loan horse. I was wondering how do I go about doing this? I have a lot of commitments to study as a result of school but was wondering if people offer loans for just the summer of a couple of weeks in the summer etc?
I currently ride at a livery yard where the owner has a couple of horses to have lessons on?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I think you'll struggle to find someone offering that sort of arrangement, it's the time of year when people find it easiest to get out and ride their horses and in many cases the less expensive time too so a financial contribution is less significant. People who want to loan, or even share, a horse usually want a long term commitment in terms of time and money.

Have you considered a riding holiday for a week or so? There's a huge range of things available, from quiet hacks to intensive tuition, and many will be happy for you to muck in with care.

When I took the plunge I was lucky enough to be at a RS where they offered a loan scheme, so you could loan one of their horses and do what you wanted with it, but still have the support of the yard and the option to continue lessons. Maybe worth looking for something similar?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone loaning a horse just for a couple of weeks, you might find a share for 1 or 2 days a week but they’ll want long term commitment.
I was lucky when I was young, I shared a mare for 3 days a week, the owner also had another horse and I got to have both for 2 weeks every summer when she went on holiday, but that was only offered after I’d been there for about a year and showed that I knew enough to take complete responsibility in her absence.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I don't but others may. First of all you need to decide what you want to do on a holiday, where you want to go, and what your budget is. Then get on google and look up places and read reviews not just on their site but also ones like Trip Advisor that are more independent.

First, in the UK the word loan usually means taking over a horse long term and paying its owner. The loaner is then in the situation of an owner and is responsible for the upkeep or livery of the horse.

The other word used in the UK is sharing. When one shares a horse one pays a contribution to the upkeep of the horse and in return gets a time slot or slots in which one may ride or use or exercise the horse. There is a model BHS contract for this type of share and the notice period is usually one month.

The amount of experience needed to share a horse varies enormously. Sometimes even on the same yard. I may not know in advance whether I will need to groom a very muddy horse and tack up, or will be taking the reins from a previos rider.
A private share may involve catching a horse in the field and tacking up and mounting un aided. If this is something you are unsure of or if you are not an adult (over 18) then it is best to postpone sharing.

My grand daughter has been on two or three riding holidays both in the Uk and in Spain. My own feeling when I was an adult beginner was that it was better to spend the money on extra lessons locally. But I was much older than you and I found that riding more than three times a week left me too tired.

FreeRein holidays have a good reputation, but they are loooooong rides and might be quite challenging if you don't ride for long periods regularly. Would you be looking for a riding holiday (distance) or a sort of horsey holiday where you can have some lessons, learn about horse care, and do a couple of longer rides?

newrider.com