Getting better elevation and a longer stride?

yasminphorse

Jul 13, 2008
England
www.youtube.com
I have a Pessoa and I know fan-trotting poles are good too. But anyone know any other good exercises to improve elevation? Lizzie has got a nice movement. But she scuffs her back hooves as she trots, also wearing her shoes down quicker! I havn't really tried much pole work with her as the school's waterlogged atm. (thanks british weather!) so maybe that could just be the answer?

i was about to suggest elevated trotting poles and canter poles. Also scatter poles too, so they (and you) have to really work for balance and elevation.

For longer strides, do you mean changing from working to medium?

Pole work. You need to develop more strength before you ask for more elevation.
First use poles on the ground, then start to raise one end and then raise both ends to give you raised poles. Going from poles on the ground to raised poles should ideally take three weeks initially and then during sessions after that, you can raise them up as the schooling session goes on.
Use groups of 3 and 6. After a few weeks, you should get some better elevation and can also ask for extension.
Hope this helps

If you want a longer stride then get them shifting from the back end first. Then when the right foreleg is going forwards squeeze with your left leg. When the left foreleg goes forwards squeeze with the right leg. Get a couple of strides of longer then go back to normal. Build it up gradually. If you can use an arena/field then count the strides between the corner and B/E then aim to have less strides between B/E and the next corner.:)

newrider.com