Getting more Confident

essexlady

May 21, 2008
Essex
Hi all

I think Im beginning to get a bit more confident, last night I was faced with my yo giving me a lesson on her horse in the school or to take my part loan out for a hack.

After such a bad day at work couldnt face any more thinking just wanted to be at one with horse and world.

I have not been out on my own for around 9 months, due to me being scared and then horse being lame, normally my oh comes with me and when I get anxious I get off and he gets on.

So put on her bridle, thought sod it she prefers bear back so lets go with it, another rider said I was brave (who me! dont think so :)) and had the most relaxed hack out, only walked and trot. She did put in a couple of refusals and a spook but I was totally in control.

Me hoping that I have finally overcome my biggest hurdle of being anxious :D:D:D

Would love to hear of other peoples stories of getting over the anxiety of horse riding.

Well done you - I wouldnt have the nerve to go out bareback.

I've been using rescue remedy and just breaking everything down into baby steps and slowly but surely its starting to come back.

I dont think I'll ever be back to how I used to be years ago but as long as I'm having more fun than worry I'll persevere:)

mmm I forgot to mention I had taken my rescue remedy too :eek:

What amazing sweets they are, do you think they work or is it just the placebo effect?

For sure Im getting another tin :p

It funny what things make you anxious, being bear back doesnt bother me although not tried cantering yet.

My horse seems happier without the saddle and very comfortable I must say.

As for the RR I got them from the local chemist. £5.00 a tin, bit like and expensive fruit pastel :eek:

I've had an issue with hacking for years & years which has mushroomed. I'm always tensed up outside worrying myself sick that the horse will spook and tank off with me (happened to me years ago, wasn't that big a deal really but as I said the memory of it has mushroomed & the more I avoid it the more it mushrooms:rolleyes:)
Last week went out for a leisurely w/t hack and did the usual fretting. Got back safely & a couple of hours later during a chat about something else my RI said that the horse I'd been out on used to be a "trotter". Took a couple of hours for the penny to drop that I worried the whole hack that he would tank off at top speed when in fact he doesn't like even cantering & will always choose to trot:rolleyes:
So, took the plunge & booked into another hack out at w/t/c:eek: Refused to think about anything else other than chanting to myself " I can canter perfectly well, if he doesn't stop when I ask I can sit tight, steer etc until he comes back to me"
Cantered on a rather narrow track round a rather mountainous hillside:eek: And it was FANTASTIC:D And best of all he came back to trot when I asked:D
I've finally got over that hurdle of what if's and now accept that there are no guarantee's on horseback but that I am equipped to deal with the mishaps. Its a great feeling kicking a phobia into touch. I'd recommend it, rather than doing what I did for years and avoid it which in effect just feeds the phobia.

Orbvalley your right, confront your fears and they dont seem half as bad.

Just takes a bit of pushing to confront them.

Im going to try and carry this confidence through, and think like you Im equipped to deal with what might happen and lets stopped thinking of what might happen coz it might never!

Ark at me the nervous nelly sounded strong :eek: lovl

I have finally overcome my terror of the road I have to hack Jazzmyn back home on.

Essex lady I have bought a bottle of wine to celebrate rather than the RR sweeties;)

Over time she bolted up it, spooked, reared and spun on her hocks to look at the traffic behind her. It is a very narrow NSL B-road which is a main village route- it has a footpath along side on way out hacking for emergency escapes but not way home you ride along a high stone wall. To make things worse her field is what we have to ride past and has her little gang in it of retired horses. Many drivers are ***ts on it- yummymummys and daddys in 4x4s, subarus and megane scenics. Jazzmyn is a nervy type with her history of abuse- she was often hit/cattle prodded from behind and so hates things close behind her. Have tried leading/ hacking in front/behind with OH on his more sensible mare Kizzy but none made much difference. Whole rides were spent dreading going home.

I knew it was really a matter of facing up to it and getting down to it and talking to Jazz. I have sat and breathed deepand talked to her - calling the drivers names to her and telling her if she is good she will not be for the sausages today and we have loads of carots at the yard etc just the rubbish you spout to calm doan

It has worked- :) we have ridden back the ast few times with out issue- in fact today I did even think about the way home til hooves hit road!

:):)
Hello im new on here, I dont feel so alone now.Im 33yrs old and 3 yrs ago i came off my horse and fractured my hip whilst out hacking.As a result of that accident i cannot bring myself to canter not even in the school.I really can't put my finger on it as, im very comfortable in walk or trot but as soon as i ask for canter i stiffen up !

:confused: help any suggestions would be welcomed

As you may have realised Iv only been riding for 3 years myself so prob not the best person to give advice, but from my little experience.

Maybe try getting someone to canter you on the lunge, but that never really helped me when I had to ask for canter on my own, still felt scared :eek:

What did help me is my instructor shouting instructions at me, like sit up. shoulders back, heels down, coz then I was thinking about what she wanted rather than the horse cantering underneath me. So if you can get an instructor or a very confident friend to help.

If all else fails try 2 Rescue Remedy tablets, they seem to be a magic pill :D

newrider.com