Getting nervous of the vet coming tomorrow

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I’m getting nervous about Bens flushing of his guttural pouch tomorrow (he has to have it done because his blood shows that he was in contact with a horse with strangles in the past. I know this because Bailey had it and they were out together). From what I have been reading, it’s not a nice procedure and some horses really object to it. If it is unsuccessful then he is either going to have it done again, or face being in isolation for 6 weeks until 3 clear nasal swabs have come back.

Part of me thinks that if doesn’t work, would I be better off moving him off that yard and either finding somewhere else for him or taking him back to his old yard? I do really like the yard and everyone is so nice and supportive, but is it worth putting him through all this? Is his nice nature going to crack and am I causing him psychological harm by being in isolation – I don’t think that he could take it for another 6 weeks (and neither can I). From what I gather, no other yards are this strict and while I know that strangles is a serious issue, he doesn’t even have it!

What would you do?

Best of luck for tommorow. Fingers crossed that it does the trick.

I am like you and thinking ahead in terms of the "what if's" but I really think you have to take one step at a time. Your chap could be turned out with new pals very soon if the procedure is successful.

I know it is frustrating but I think it is very good that your yard has such strict policies. I had Caymen in for a week and only rode once or twice but he did have a horse opposite him. I had him on restricted turnout for 3 months. Never again! It is hard but if you like the yard I would be inclined to see it through and it also means that your horse is safe and random horses wont just arrive and be turned out with him in the future.

I will be thinking of you tommorow

Best of luck for tommorow. Fingers crossed that it does the trick.

I am like you and thinking ahead in terms of the "what if's" but I really think you have to take one step at a time. Your chap could be turned out with new pals very soon if the procedure is successful.

I know it is frustrating but I think it is very good that your yard has such strict policies. I had Caymen in for a week and only rode once or twice but he did have a horse opposite him. I had him on restricted turnout for 3 months. Never again! It is hard but if you like the yard I would be inclined to see it through and it also means that your horse is safe and random horses wont just arrive and be turned out with him in the future.

I will be thinking of you tommorow

Agree with this ^^

Good yards are so hard to find these days I'd try to stick it out too. Has he got lots to keep him occupied like a few stable toys, hay, hidden treats etc? Maybe even a mirror up in his stable might help?
Good luck for tomorrow!

Good luck and hope it goes ok. Try not to worry too much, I *think* it is similar to the procedure Joe had a few years ago, when he had a nasal infection and suspected virus. It wasn't as bad as we thought, his passages were washed every day for a week (don't think your horse will have to have that though?) but I have to say, it's amazing how they cope, and I assume he'll be sedated? Best of luck anyways.

I'm seriously impressed that your yard have taken these measures as have never come across any before that have. Better to be on the safe side all round. Hopefully all will be fine tomorrow and Ben can get out with the herd.

Try to keep positive and wait for the results.

Really hope it goes well, and we get a pic of Ben's first day of turn out. :happy:

newrider.com