Getting weight of a extremely fat shetland!?

Come on guys - let's not let this thread to down the route of others.

While some of you may disagree with how this situation has come about, the vet is coming tomorrow and the situation will be taken from there. NR is a place for members to write about their experiences and ask questions. If Spider is driven away from this forum due to every thread turning into a slanging match, that's not going to be any help to this mare is it? Let's support Spider with the situation that she is in now and look forward to giving advice if and when this foal is born.

Thankyouuu!
It's not as if I have done this on purpose, as far as I were aware I were rescuing a little Shetland pony who was going to be used to let my friends little boy ride!

I certainly won't be posting anymore threads on here, I'd rather suffer in silence than ask for advice and get accused of not knowing what the hell I'm doing!

Spider I must say if the mare is running milk then that is a MAJOR sign that she is about to foal! As in anytime from now to 72 hours time!

But is she running milk! It was they this morning then when I went back early tonigh there was nothing there!

MP - a lot of us have kept as quiet as we can but have got to the point where someone has to say something. By all means play peace keeper if you so wish but this particular person has a habit of rubbing people up the wrong way, and will continue to do so - it's almost like a game, keep quiet for a while and then post something to get a reaction.

There aren't many people that I would publically disagree with on this forum - or any other forum for that matter. But I will speak out if I feel the person is inconsistent with what they are saying and that these inconsistencies could have a devasating effect on an animal. Both of which IMO have happened on this thread.

My only concern is for the animal involved and couldnt give a hoot whether or not the owner is offended.

This is a forum at the end of the day and please dont take offence at my reply or you are playing right in to the OP hands.

Most mares don't run continuous milk, so it sounds like she may be waxed up and ready, and I really would err on the side of caution and check her the next few nights every couple hours just in case. Better safe than sorry. My foal is out of a maiden mare and she didn't even wax up, she bagged up then suddenly popped him out. Every mare is different, but wax or milk is the biggest sign that the foal is imminent.

She had some sticky stuff on the insides of her back legs today but it was black/dark coloured.

She didn't say anything. She said she doesn't think flo is about to drop right now but she could be very close. Obviously we will know more tomorrow.

Personally I hope this whole carry on turns out to be a false alarm!

Well fingers crossed its a phantom for both yours and the mares sake. You'll have to update us tomorrow..

And get more crap thrown at me?
No chance! As soon as I figure out how to delete my account I'm off.

No ones throwing crap, just trying to make sure you are doing the best by the mare.. funny how you keep replying..

Come on guys - let's not let this thread to down the route of others.

While some of you may disagree with how this situation has come about, the vet is coming tomorrow and the situation will be taken from there. NR is a place for members to write about their experiences and ask questions. If Spider is driven away from this forum due to every thread turning into a slanging match, that's not going to be any help to this mare is it? Let's support Spider with the situation that she is in now and look forward to giving advice if and when this foal is born.

But this thread started on 3rd April and everyone advised the OP to get the vet and check. A mare that is suspected as being heavily in foal needs to be checked by a vet as a matter as of urgency - add to that the previous history, and it becomes more of an emergency in my opinion. That means getting the vet out whether it's a bank holiday or bloody Christmas!!

I will happily advise and support anyone who I feel will use the advice, but the OP has started this (and several other) threads and basically argued with people and ignored their advice.

Wally, you need to get your troll spray out for this one.

I think MP is saying, and I agree, that what's done is done - it can't be changed now.

I agree interests of mare needs to go first, but it's no use bringing back up what's happened as it doesn't change anything now.

Equally though, please seriously consider foal watch if you want a positive outcome if she is in foal.

When mine start to leak colostrum they are in the back yard or on 2 hourly checks day and night, If there is someone there to share the check with fine, if not it's sleep depravation, it's cold, it's incovenient but 2 hourly checks never hurt anyone.

Millk a bit out and test it between your finger and thumb, it will be tacky and sticky. Really sticky. The reason it might look black on her legs it becasue it is so sticky, dust and dirt will stick like shit to a blanket on it and make it look black and tarry.

If you post the stuff you do then you can't expect everyone to be namby pamby and pander to you. Seems like attention seeking to me.
You respond like a petulant child and if that is all you can bring to a forum then I'm sure you and your posts will not be missed.

You might find that one of the reasons she is "leaking" milk in the morning is that if she's been in the udder will fill up as they aren't moving around as much. Echo what Wally says, try to see how sticky it is as this will give you a better idea.

My mare wasn't a first timer when I bred from her and had always white a pale milk like liquid (but not really proper milk) in her udders that even now I can milk off, when she was nearing her due date this pale stuff would run a bit, but when it turned to colostrum (huge change in texture and a much deeper colour) it didn't run but form what looked like a plug on the end of the teat.......and she foaled that night.

One of the biggest things with foaling mares is that every one is different, some will have bagged up for weeks and others only an hour or so before popping the little sprog out. So, if the YO will let you, it would be a good idea to camp up there and do regular checks as these little mares can really surprise you!

I was camped out with Puz for a week before she foaled and another of my friends spent a similar amount of time literally living in a tent in the middle of a 40 acre field....which actually turned out to be a good thing as the foal was born with bent fetlocks so needed help standing to get to the milk bar, if she hadn't been there he would have been in a real pickle!

I'm a tad concerned that spider keeps coming back for more on this thread? That suggests either troll activity or an unawareness of how much you are riling folk with a situation perceived to be quite worrying for the animal involved. I'm also wondering, in a very well meant way, if the OP is not quite with it or doesn't feel capable of arguing or explaining her point of view enough. I apologise if this isn't the case.

I hope everything works out if this little shettie is pregnant. I do think it would have been a good idea to have a vet visit when you first rescued this little pony so as to establish her health situation but thats just because I'm inexperienced and its what I would do for peace of mind. After all, its not just the welfare of this pony you have to consider. Having another horse, the risk of infection and the financial implications of dealing with any problems will have a knock on effect on the care of your existing animals. I always love the idea of saving some poor little tyke, but I know that my number one priority is my existing horse.
Anyway, I digress. Being an OP you always risk your opinion being disagreed with, and people can get quite passionate about their views. When these opinions are disagreed with, and justification doesn't seem feasible, or if this advice appears to be ignored, it can feel quite frustrating for those offering the advice and help. I think some of the responses on here come from passionate people who care about the pony at the heart of this.

I've done a lot of things wrong with my horse, I've reasoned in my head that these things were ok...at the time. Looking back, I acknowledge the problems I caused and would act differently now. Unfortunately as humans, we learn best from our own mistakes. Be careful with your shettie's situation, I do worry that your insurance won't cover as if they know that there was a history of something, they generally exclude it - heck mine retrospectively excluded mites because I had been informed that there was risk of getting them reported in my vetting cert from purchase. I would hate for this to end badly.

The horse world is a very small place. Very few deggrees of separation in the horse world.

Some folk just have to fo to hell their own way. Sadly, sometimes it means they take someone along with them for the ride.

The horse world is a very small place. Very few deggrees of separation in the horse world.

Some folk just have to fo to hell their own way. Sadly, sometimes it means they take someone along with them for the ride.

Paul and I said the same thing last night, adding that it's even smaller now 'thanks' to the internet.

AM trying so hard to bite my tongue here - I fear I'd get myself banned from NR in spectacular fashion!!

If you ask for advice and receive that advice, it is not worth getting out pram with the replies.
There are breeders on here who have given you sound advice.
As for not monitoring until you know for sure, what is the leaking then, if that is a phantom even that requires the vet.
When my pony was sick we sat up the yard most of the night, When ponies are ill people do pull together. If owner really won't allow it I would stick the pony in my garden so I could watch, trust me I would be bending over backwards especially as had complications before.

You don't need to delete the account you can just stop posting. If certain people are getting personal because they know you, you can block them if you really wanted to, again some advice here.

I suspect it is a false one, I don't expect to see photos of a foal. If there are that would be a miracle she had managed to carry it, deliver it and not have sad outcome.

newrider.com