Getting worse instead of better?

It's amazing what a little time can do!

I have come so far from this incident in such a short amount of time. I am really very glad I spoke to my instructor and decided not to stop riding. I would have missed out on alot of good times had I stopped after that nasty incident. Not that I think I am ready for the grand prix but my confidence has been soaring!

It is truely amazing what a little bit of motivation and positive thinking will do for a rider!!!!!!

can't wait til I get another go at that trail to be honest it has just been so yucky outside here in the old north eastern states! I am enjoying my ring work and I must admit I am much more comfy doing that sort of riding but I am no longer afraid to head out and get some twigs stuck in my hair! LOL

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling more confident! After all riding is suppossed to be fun, and if it isn't there is deffinately something going wrong!lol! Good luck trail riding!:D

looks like this particular incident has been pretty thoroughly hashed out

but I still thought I'd chime in :)

Horses are big, tough animals, and thei motives aren't always clear. It can happen to anyone that you have a difficult ride and lose confidence; there's actually a lot you can do about that.

The only _really_ hard part is getting up the courage to get back on. From there, you have a lot of options. Horseback riding is supposed to be fun--so find some part that is fun, something you can do easily. If that's just walking around the ring on a really trustworthy school horse, then that's what you do :) You might even be able to skip lessons for a few sessions, and just pay to lease the horse for half an hour or so.

If you lost control of the horse and don't want to do it again, have a few longe line lessons. The instructor is in control of the horse, but you still get to ride :)

If you lost your seat and are tense, do balancing exercises! They can help to loosen you up and can really help your seat get more secure. Examples are: reach down and touch your toes, reach forward and touch between the horse's ears, reach back and touch the top of the tail. The more you practice the better your seat gets.

Overall, horseback riding is supposed to be fun. If your confidence starts to go, take a step back and remember WHY you ride--because there ARE parts that are fun. Horses are wonderful and sweet, and when you ride in harmony with the horse it's like magical music.

newrider.com