Ginny is going for a bone scan

I think your vets have ripped the mick personally I wouldn't be happy with all the exclusions that you will be left with.
You'd still have exclusions if they investigated and gave bute/rest to treat, you get exclusions for any vet even looking if something is a problem now, even if they say its nothing and if something in a similar place happens 2 years later they will say you were excluded because you already had that area treated even tho there was no treatment. I don't think the vets are to blame, the insurance companies force their hands because of their behaviour around claims.

You'd still have exclusions if they investigated and gave bute/rest to treat, you get exclusions for any vet even looking if something is a problem now, even if they say its nothing and if something in a similar place happens 2 years later they will say you were excluded because you already had that area treated even tho there was no treatment. I don't think the vets are to blame, the insurance companies force their hands because of their behaviour around claims.

Not always. Areas scanned but not given direct treatment aren’t excluded also if there is a general broad spec treatment given like rest and Bute the exclusions have be lifted quicker as the issue has resolved itself. Steroids can actually weaken an area and cause a degeneration hence why they are limited. Vets can write to insurance companies after a year or so and usually they lift them. I did this a few times.

The insurance companies aren’t the best either with the timescales. I find it simpler now not having it. Yes it is a worry sometimes but what Kia has wouldn’t be covered anyway so my situation wouldn’t Change.

Reactions: Jessey
Not always. Areas scanned but not given direct treatment aren’t excluded also if there is a general broad spec treatment given like rest and Bute the exclusions have be lifted quicker as the issue has resolved itself. Steroids can actually weaken an area and cause a degeneration hence why they are limited. Vets can write to insurance companies after a year or so and usually they lift them. I did this a few times.

The insurance companies aren’t the best either with the timescales. I find it simpler now not having it. Yes it is a worry sometimes but what Kia has wouldn’t be covered anyway so my situation wouldn’t Change.
I've never been successful getting any of my exclusions lifted, but I plan to cancel my policy this October when its due for renewal, but then I've been saying that for about 3 years :oops::p:p

I am really please that it looks like nothing worse than muscle injury then the resulting tension from protecting the areas.

I do think the vets were to keen to inject the coffin joints and backs before they had complete the investigation.

A lot of deep muscle pulls and tears are often missed by a vet and they move straight in for investigation work.

Reactions: MrC
I've never been successful getting any of my exclusions lifted, but I plan to cancel my policy this October when its due for renewal, but then I've been saying that for about 3 years :oops::p:p

lol I have had a fair few of Kia’s lifted. The only ones that stuck were his left fetlock after he nearly removed his foot on wire. His arthritis in his hock and his exclusion for mud fever all over after his bout of lymphocystic vasculitis. The rest like his adductor tears etc I had removed after two years as I had Assessed by the vet and paid for a letter to be written. Was years ago mind you. I’ve not had insurance for a while now due to his age :)

Reactions: Jessey
Glad it's less bad than initially thought, bless her for trying her best through all the pain! Hope she feels better soon.

Horse insurance sounds like such a minefield, I can't think of any other animal insurance where they would exclude you in future just for having tests done, seems highly unfair given you need tests sometimes to know what the issue is!

I picked her up today and have had a long chat with the vet. I've gone from there can't be much wrong to catastrophe and back oh it's all ok really. And reality is somewhere in the middle.

There is no diagnosis but they remain concerned about how much inflammation and pain there was/is. When she was nerve blocked she was 'crippled, hopping lame' on whichever leg was not numb. And yet when she is not blocked she appears sound. She was jumping on legs that lame:(:(:(:(:(

Her back is very, very sore because of all the effort she has had to make to take pressure off her legs. I am SOOOOO thankful for my RI who said she is 'not right' and my vet for suggesting a bute trial which showed clearly that this was a pain problem and to Leahurst for all their amazing care. This pony was in SERIOUS PAIN and I would never have known. She has obviously been tolerating significant pain for a long time and may well have improved just enough to stop bucking with a bit of field rest but nowhere near enough for comfort. She has never refused a jump or bucked Katie off or refused to be saddled. All she has done is protest at the very beginning of a ride and then comply. I feel so awful but so glad that I now know and can look after her properly.

While it is good she has nothing major wrong that they could find, they still worry that there is some issue that will re-present and have only given her a 'fair to good' chance of returning to full work so we have a way to go yet. Plan is 2 weeks field rest then more cortico steroid injections then a 3 week rehab programme in hand then re-block back at Leahurst to see how she is. The vet said with a pony this stoic and with this type of 4 limb lameness which did not present till she was nerve blocked only re-blocking will shows us whether she is truly sound. I do trust them and I will follow their advice. She is also on meds and has been remedial shod. The road to full recovery starts here.....

Can I ask how she is being remedially shod or what exactly for? How does the farrier know what the vet wants done with the feet to correct an issue the vet cannot diagnose specifically??

That bit of your vets report has me stumped. Usually remedial showing is for a specific issue??

Just goes to show what a cracking pony she is to keep looking after your daughter despite being in such pain. I also understand how frustrating a stoic horse can be. When Ben’s back was really sore I wish he would have just bucked me off as I would have spotted it much sooner.

Regarding exclusions, in my experience once a vet has written in their notes they even suspect an issue, that issue will be excluded at renewal time. The treatment plan is irrelevant. You can argue them. My insurance attempted to exclude all the tendons and ligaments in both front legs because my horse had an abscess. After 2 vets letters the exclusions were lifted. We will have similar arguments at renewal time I am sure as they are bound to exclude most of his body now. Insurance is a scam, but I have had 5 grand of vets fees paid for, so I guess it is not all bad.

Reactions: KP nut
I have put in three claims over 8 years, it didn't result in any exclusions. It did put up my insurance the following renewal for one year.
Maybe it depends on what the diagnosis , treatment and prognosis is?
My vet and insurance were in direct communication in all cases.

Gosh @KP nut I do hope she comes right. It's a puzzle, to be sure.

I really hope so. It's such a worry. She's a lovely ridden pony and very able so obviously I hope she can return to ridden work over time. But she is also my most popular therapy horse. The defensive, angry, anxious kids relate to her!! So assuming she is comfortable she can just be a therapy pony.

I have put in three claims over 8 years, it didn't result in any exclusions. It did put up my insurance the following renewal for one year.
Maybe it depends on what the diagnosis , treatment and prognosis is?
My vet and insurance were in direct communication in all cases.
What were the claims for and who are you insured with? I have had nothing but problems with my insurance. They initially refused to pay out because they held ‘evidence’ of me competing at elementary dreaaage when I claimed to be doing prelim. It was only when I threatened them with the ombudsman that they said sorry and sent me £50 compensation. They have contested every claim, it is almost like I am having a personal fight with them but I don’t know why. I think an ex boyfriend must be handling my claim!

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Just goes to show what a cracking pony she is to keep looking after your daughter despite being in such pain. I also understand how frustrating a stoic horse can be. When Ben’s back was really sore I wish he would have just bucked me off as I would have spotted it much sooner.

Regarding exclusions, in my experience once a vet has written in their notes they even suspect an issue, that issue will be excluded at renewal time. The treatment plan is irrelevant. You can argue them. My insurance attempted to exclude all the tendons and ligaments in both front legs because my horse had an abscess. After 2 vets letters the exclusions were lifted. We will have similar arguments at renewal time I am sure as they are bound to exclude most of his body now. Insurance is a scam, but I have had 5 grand of vets fees paid for, so I guess it is not all bad.

Leahurst said good when I said I was with NFU so I am not anticipating a problem! She is so honest and willing, bless her. She does already look much brighter in herself. And is moving around more freely. It's very noticeable. Apparently she was very aggressive at the hospital - showing the biting and kicking behaviour we saw at first but have not seen for months. But she has settled back home immediately. Ears pricked, nudging for treats, tolerating hugs!

What were the claims for and who are you insured with? I have had nothing but problems with my insurance. They initially refused to pay out because they held ‘evidence’ of me competing at elementary dreaaage when I claimed to be doing prelim. It was only when I threatened them with the ombudsman that they said sorry and sent me £50 compensation. They have contested every claim, it is almost like I am having a personal fight with them but I don’t know why. I think an ex boyfriend must be handling my claim!
I'm with nfu and 'touches wood' they've been no trouble.
First claim was worm damage-13 days at the vet, second was hoof ligament two days at vet and last was her seasons no days at vet.

I'm sorry yours are being awkward. One thing you don't need on top of all the worry.

I have three exclusion all rubbish. One for his front left hoof for an injury before I got him. One for ulcers yet he was never scoped and one for pelvis but nothing was found and I was given duff advise from a chiropractor.

@OwnedbyChanter that's awful! Ginny's scope did not lead to exclusions because nothing was found.what insurance company are you with? I've been impressed with NFU so far.

Glad to hear you have a plan @KP nut and most of all that she's feeling more comfortable. I hope you can get her to a good place in future. Sounds like even if she's not rideable again you have a plan for her, lucky pony.

Reactions: KP nut
Disappointing update.
Vet reviewed and she is more lame in front. May be because backs are improving so front lameness is more noticeable but vet commented that after rest, treatment & remedial farriery we would hope she would be feeling more comfortable. We will know more when I take her back to Leahurst in about 3 weeks......

newrider.com