Girlies - type of pill

Innocence

Jun 1, 2009
Hello girlies,

As some of you know i suffer terribly with period pain, it get's so bad i struggle to get up, feel sick etc. Now the doc suggested i go on the pill to help combat this problem, but what pill should i choose?

I don't want to put on weight and i want one that helps clear up skin (my skin is terrible at the mo), what are your experiences? Should i go combined or mini?

I'm sterilised so it's not for that sort of protection ;)

Well I guess the first thing to say is that this will vary massively from person to person.

Secondly, I apologise for being too graphic for some people!

I've been on both although for contraceptive reasons rather than skin (luckily I've never suffered bad skin and didn't on any of the pills). I started on the combined pill - Microgynon and then changed to Cilest (didn't notice any difference there). I was as regular as clockwork although was a bit emotional when first went on Microgynon.

For various reasons I came off these and then when I needed to start taking the pill again I was put on the POP/mini pill (Cerazette) and I didn't like it - at all. My regular periods stopped all together yet I still had bleeding/discharge that was almost constant but irregular. I found it disconcerting.

After a while I came off it and it took a good few months before my periods returned - when they then did with a vengence and with painful cramps. It's taking a while for my body to calm down although I'm back to being regular/each month (almost). But a lot heavier for the first day, and then next to nothing at all for 2 days after.

I started on microgynon - generally what is prescribed first.

Brilliant for my skin, but I am really sensitive to one of the hormones and found I was constantly feeling nauseous. I also found I was more teary and generally down - but this could easily have been coincidence! (Lovely ex... LOL)

I came off that onto cilest, which was better for moods, but after 12months I slipped back to being miserable, so swapped to femodette which is a 2nd generation hormone, and doing fine on it although my skin has got worse on it - but not as bad as it was.

I would love to go onto the injection / coil/implant but I seem to react to the hormones so easily and I dont want to lose the control over my periods I have!!!!!!!!!!!! I had really bad periods too - pill has zapped all of that :D

I have been on:

Ovranette - gave me terrible spots
Dianette, for several years - skin treatment pill, worked very well (and my boobs got loads bigger - those were the days!!) but apparently you shouldn't be on it for more than 1-2 years for some health reason I can't remember.
Another combined pill I can't remember either - Mercilon? possibly - which made me put on weight and moody.

Now on Cerazette and it's excellent (for me at least), no periods, no noticeable side effects.

I have been of Marvelon for about 15 years.

Dont have any side effects. My skin is fine. Only lightish periods.

And the doctor says it is fine to stay on for years as long as your blood pressure is fine and you dont smoke.

I've only ever been on a POP because of my weight and the fact I get migraines.

I'm on Noriday at the minute, have put on weight but I don't think it's connected to the pill (I'm just a chocoholic! :D) periods are lighter and still as regular as they were before the pill. I used to get quite bad period pain and since taking Noriday I'll have one fairly painful period and then 3-4 where I don't even need to take paracetamol. Have had a little bit of spotting inbetween but it generally lasts 2-3 days. The only problem I have been having with this pill is the fact that you have to take it at the same time each day and you only have a 3 hour window in which to take it. So I keep forgetting to take it at 7 ish at the weekends when I'm having a lie in!! For this reason I'm thinking of moving onto the implant.

I would never go back to taking any pill. They all made me feel awful in various ways, I tried 4 I think. Why don't you try taking Chasteberry first? A natural hormone balancer. Bad periods and skin problems are usually hormone related and balancing out your own rather than taking more can sometimes work better.

Mad question, but if your sterilised, does that not stop periods and stop the production of eggs which produces the bleeding? Am I being dumb or too nosey? x

No it doesn't stop periods, only hysterectomy will do that. It stops the get getting into the fallopian tube to be sterilised but everything else is the same.

I have been on Ovranette for over 20 years - first and only pill I ever tried! Never caused skin or weight problems, suits me so I stuck with it, but everyone is different :)

Oh! Sorry if I offended you. Most GP's will have to recommend a specific/type of pill to help with your problem. I would ask them as there are many contra indications when prescribing OC. I would say steer clear of the injection or implant at the moment until you know how your body reacts to having more hormone, but from memory the best one for skin is said to be Dianette, as it is also prescribed purely to aid control of hormonally caused acne, side affect being it's also a OC that helps with heavy bleeding. Hope you get it sorted x

Oh! Sorry if I offended you. Most GP's will have to recommend a specific/type of pill to help with your problem. I would ask them as there are many contra indications when prescribing OC. I would say steer clear of the injection or implant at the moment until you know how your body reacts to having more hormone, but from memory the best one for skin is said to be Dianette, as it is also prescribed purely to aid control of hormonally caused acne, side affect being it's also a OC that helps with heavy bleeding. Hope you get it sorted x

Don't worry you didn't offend me :D I'm thinking about asking about Dianette, because of oily skin which seems to be giving me spots :(

This is helping me!! Don't have too many female friends to ask LOL.

Have been on Microgynon for about 5 years now, am thinking of coming off as I seem to get really bad migraines over the past year or so. Other than that, regular as clockwork for when period starts, nice and short (3 or 4 days) and a lot less pain than I used to have. I have put weight on, but that's not the pill, that's the fact that I have been sat on my bum in a call centre for the past 3 years as a job LOL.

It stops the get getting into the fallopian tube to be sterilised but everything else is the same.

Lol I think you meant fertilized... not pointing it out to correct you, but because that gave me the funniest image of sperm going through a carwash... sorry... probably waaay to much info. :eek: :D

Anyhow, I had good luck with Loestrin 24 fe, which is basically 24 active pills with 6 iron tabs. Worked wonders on my skin, which also tends to be oily, and I didn't have any problems losing weight while on it.

Lol I think you meant fertilized... not pointing it out to correct you, but because that gave me the funniest image of sperm going through a carwash... sorry... probably waaay to much info. :eek: :D

Can you tell i was having a bad day. lol :)

Can you tell i was having a bad day. lol

Tis' ok. Just imagine a line of sperm dancing through the car wash with that 70's Car Wash song playing in the background. That'll cheer you right up! :D

I was on microgynon for around 3 months...i think it was microgynon..it was a couple of years back so im struggling to remeber :eek:

It didnt make my skin bad, didnt put weight on as such but my Boobs went enormous :eek::eek:

Period came on like clockwork which i quite liked...but the main was SO much worse and it was ALOT more heavier

So i just dont bother with any pills other than a fair few painkillers :rolleyes:

newrider.com