girth size

CheriFen

Aug 31, 2011
Maine USA
I'm trying to figure out what size girth to buy for my pony. He wears a size 28 western cinch, that's the smallest size of horse sized cinch..would he just wear the smallest horse size girth.

how do I measure for that?

once you have the saddle how to measure

I followed the rule of measuring from half way up the billet straps on the saddle I have now to the other side half way up and it shows I should have a 54 inch girth. well, I have a 54 inch and it's huge.

so, how should I be measuring?

There really isn't a fool proof measurement. I always recommend the shortest girth possible for short billets - one that will JUST do up when the horse is at it's largest/widest and a pad is used, but I supply girths if wanted when I fit saddles so people can try them for size. Girths are cinched up and snug, no measurement you can take can replicate that, many girths are handmade and can vary in length (and some manufacturers do not measure them buckle end to buckle end)...the variables are endless. 54" is a pretty long girth though, my most popular size is 46" but I do fit a lot of cobs and ponies, I seldom sell any that long, though I do have two horses on my books who need 56" girths.

I use a bit of string from girth strap to girth strap and then measure it. 54" will fit a small draught :wink:

to gve you a rough idea, my exmoors take 36" and (when angel was a lardass many moons ago ....) 44" so i'd hazard a guess yours (or rather, your pony's!!)would be around the 40" mark :)

Cob takes 22" dressage so likely 44"standard. Though all depends on the saddle and pad. Girths have elasticity, string doesnt.
Cob is wide 14.1hh.

newrider.com