Girth that does not rub ...

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
:( not sure what to do ....

Appley is so sensitive-skinned that everything seems to rub :( girth is not too lose, not too tight either ...

so far we've tried

wintect chafless with elastic in the middle - she HATED so those plasticy waffley things are out ...

simple cottage craft cotton

native pony co leather double elastic (this is a 75 quid quality leather girth especially for ponies btw)

nuumed sheepskin cover

other sheepskin cover

fleece

tubigrip

neoprene

towelly material

everything bloody rubs :(

what to do?

saddle was fitted professionally (by our very own Sbloom ...) this year, too ...

Julia
x

One of these - sorry KV!!!

5fe08d30.jpg

Please excuse the tack up his neck. Ive also just realised that Ive assumed its rubbing behind her elbows?

PS That is a forward swung girth, put on back to front :giggle: We need it on the other way round, but the picture would show you the cut back away from the elbow stuff?

Where is it rubbing? Tess is prone to things rubbing her being a delicate Tb but I've never had a problem, we use a Professional's Choice neoprene lined girth, but it sounds like you may have already gone down that route.

Sorry by "him" are you referring to Mr. Standing-like-a-laminitic-with-my-tummy-hanging-out-and-my-tack-up-my-neck-and-inappropriatley-fastened-to-the-wall-rascal? The same one who was so excited to go out today he took off lead rope and all through the electric fencing whilst bucking.

Have him.

LOL.

not quite by/behind the elbow (a bit further back), always on the right hand side (although girth always done up evenly) at the edge of the girth. discovered a little pink rub today :(

Always on one side suggests saddle or rider issue.

For what it is worth we cannot use neoprene in any form on our TBs either girths or boots but only well kept leather or sheepskin lined. Old fashioned three folds that have a lint strip you soak in oil seem to suit all.

I use a professional choice neoprene girth too.... never had any issues with rubbing either on Oscar my thin skinned TB or on my roly poly Belle, I did buy a different make of neoprene girth for Oscar as a spare, but he hated it so stuck with the Pro Choice one. Not tried any others though.

I had this issue with Harvey as he is so thin skinned. (KV even made us a cut back padded all-in-one headpiece on a bridle as even a bridle rubs him behind the ears!)

anyway he hated the wintec one with a passion too, but interestingly enough he likes his thorowgood cob girth (no elastic and has split ends as is used on point straps)

My girl Kiki is quite delicate where girths are concerned and she has a Christ Lammfelle girth, the sheepskin is rolled around the edges so only the sheepskin touches her skin.
As EML sats though, it could be because of you is wonky.

I used to have a string girth. That could be an option to try. the string sort of moves about abit so I imagine less chance of rubbing possibly.

I sometimes get that in the spring with Ben,just as you say position wise. I bought him a proper sheepskin girth from Horsedreams, it has never rubbed at all & made him happy.

Agree with EML - if it is only on one side, I would say there is more than the girth going on.

Have had very sensitive TB's before, and Tobes is ever a one to say what is not right in no uncertain terms.

If it was a complete elastic girth you were trying I would see it, but I would look again at saddle fit. Odd its only one one side - provided girths you are using are elasticated or not on both sides and on the same numbers on both sides.

thanks for the replies guys :)

could be me being not totally sraight (although ive improved a lot since having weekly lessons again - RI pretty happy with that part of my riding now), but dont think its the actual saddle to be honest (ive had that checked quite a few times overall). it could be pony being a bit wonky as well (she had 2 months off due to an injury) I suppose.

not sure what to do in the here and now though eg. working on straightness, but dont want rubs (its only a very small rub but there shouldnt be any!) in the meantime ... @ EML - tried leather and sheepskin already ...

unfortunately angel's torsion is way too long for appley so i cant try :(

@ sjp - elastic on both sides and a very good quality girth, done up on same holes.

had another try with just the leather girth (no sleeve) today - resulted in a SECOND sore so that def doesn't work :( think it might have to do with the rear riser possibly not staying where it should under the saddle (we use a mattes system pad on advice of fitter/sbloom as tall rider on small pony). saddle itself does stay put (had a hell of a time with that last year as pony is rocketshaped and shoulderless ....). the sore has appeared last year as well, had saddler/fitter out more times than i care to remember ... (had chiro out more times than i care to remember also ...).

newrider.com