Girths for round cobs....

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Elastic or not? Joey has come with a lovely padded leather girth - which is elasticated on one side :banghead: He's also got off-side shoulder atrophy so I'm wondering whether his previous owner always had the elastic on the same side. So whilst I love the leather and the padded part of it, the single-sided elastic is hated with a passion. Jack's girth is a double-elastic ended Shires neoprene girth but I'm wondering as Joey is more barrel-shaped whether to forego the elastic and go for rigid. Saddle is a Thorowgood Cob so I could buy the matching girth which has split ends for the Y-shaped girthing system, or a nice white Stubben trevira cord. Can't run to a non-elastic padded leather one at the present time and would rather have something functional and comfortable and be able to ride, than to have to save up for it and not ride in the meantime.

Which girths do you use on your round cobs???

Although i have a treeless, i do have a round fuller figure, her not me.

I have a girth which has elastic in the centre, that way it can give and take as needed. It is really really strong and you can't actually pull it yourself, so next to no risk of it being over done.
Next, current girth is the air filled German one. Non elastic from memory. I also have the v girth system and this has been ok for us so far.
We are walk and trot only but you could add in the odd buck and spin and nothing shifted.

I have one for Jack but haven't used it much. Cherry took a dislike to it and became girthy when I used it so I guess that is heavily on my mind. Shame as I do actually love the girths themselves....

I use the Cottage Craft fabric or Stubben cord girths on my round cob. He arrived with an elasticated on one side Thorogood girth and the saddle never felt very stable. I prefer non elasticated girths anyway.

I am not qualified to have a girth, It's always has enough room for another horse in there most times anyway!

I ummed and ahhed for ages about Bens girth. He came with a one side elasticated which needed replacing. On here most people do not seem to like the one side elastic, but on my yard they are very popular. I ended up buying one exactly the same as he used to have. It keeps the saddle very secure and he seems comfortable in it. I found girth buying very complicated - everyone has an opinion but at the end of the day as long as your horse is comfortable and the girth keeps the saddle in place, it doesn't really matter what you use.

Izzy has the stubben cord girth. Recommended by my saddler and have never had any problems.

I have seen these. Are they better quality and feel to the old ones from the 80.s? I spent more time catching hair in ours. They used to match the reins if anyone remembers the coloured ones.

I have seen these. Are they better quality and feel to the old ones from the 80.s? I spent more time catching hair in ours. They used to match the reins if anyone remembers the coloured ones.

I don't know what the ones were like in the 80s but they are very soft and silky and don't get hair caught in them. They do take more washing than just wiping down a leather girth.

I just wash mine in a bit of washing powder, swill it around a bit then spin it to get rid of most of water and it is good to go for the next day.

I found the Aerborn humane girth very good on round cobs as you could put it on the first and last straps

Ditto.

I was very anti humane girths because of the buckle breaking argument. But I find the saddle isn't so prone to being pulled forward up on to her shoulders with the humane girth. I used to have a double ended elastic one but in summer the saddle came forwards.

Like Wally, I tend to find there's enough for 2 ponies in there anyway!

I bought a second hand leather padded Elevator girth off ebay for very reasonable. Elasticated on BOTH sides, and Tobes who is extremely fussy about girths and only likes padded leather, approves of it.

Have a look on ebay?

I bought a Thorowgood Cob girth today.... so it was made for my saddle, with the split ends for the Y-shaped girthing option. Hacked out tonight and saddle felt nice and secure although I think there is a one-sided atrophy thing going on - thankfully Mr Pooh is hoping to get up here in the next few days to give the boys and saddles the once over so with any luck that issue will be addressed.

I am not qualified to have a girth, It's always has enough room for another horse in there most times anyway!

I am just like this Wally. The first thing my RI does at the beginning of every lesson is to say "OMG your girth, I could get my whole arm in there". Sometimes she does, just to prove it.

Ziggy is a very balanced little round horse. Anyway, he has a shaped padded leather Atherstone with no elastic. He doesn't need elastic because I don't do it up much.

I use a Thorowgood girth will one side being elastic, my Cob has a wide girth and I have always used the same brand for the past 6 years.

I like the elastic at one side and wouldnt change now.

In fact i dont think i have ever used a rigid one come to think about it so I dont know what they are really like?:unsure:

i must admit my fave girth is a double ended elastic Bridleway sheepskin girth. Second have is a Aerborn humane girth which is non elastic, but the girth straps are easily adjustable and spread widely which is good when you have an additional rear balance strap on your saddle.

I really didn't like the string girths, Moet got more and more girth with it too.

Last edited:
I use a Thorowgood girth will one side being elastic, my Cob has a wide girth and I have always used the same brand for the past 6 years.

I like the elastic at one side and wouldnt change now.

In fact i dont think i have ever used a rigid one come to think about it so I dont know what they are really like?:unsure:

me to I use the same one and never had any problems. But have to say I don;t always have the elestic on the same side:giggle:

newrider.com