give me one good reason why adults should ride ponies....

abbiegirl

Abbie and Anny
Jul 14, 2006
wrexham, north wales
hi everyone,
if you have seen my thread on general you will know that my good reason why adults should ride ponies is:
you have not got far to fall!:eek: ::D
feel free to add another one:)

There are many reasons.
Ponies are fun :D
Some ponies are not really suitable childs ponies.
Many adults are smaller/lighter than the average teenager.

Are there any good reasons why adults shouldn't ride ponies?

you can dress them in cute stuff/colours and get away with it
its not as far to fall (as i found on sat! ouch!)
you dont need a mounting block/leg up
when they styand on your foot it doesnt hurt as much
rugs and tack are sometimes cheaper as smaller!
they are 'tougher' than alot of horses
they can fit in small spaces (as i found on sun riding down a narrow footpath!)

They're not so panicky as horses.
They're willing to play the fool and have a laugh with you (horses feel it's beneath them)
They're far easier (and cheaper) to keep and feed.
Dont get so stressy as horses.
More affectionate than a large horse.
More intelligent.
Quicker to learn new things than horses.

That's what I can think of for the moment. The downside is they take the **** more than horses!

because like my new pony some are too cheeky for kids to ride
A lot of adults are too small for horses (I apparently look a bit silly sat on Dakota who is 15.3hh yet look fine on Paddy at his 11.3hh)
They have better stamina than a lot of horses
They are tougher
They often don't require shoes
cheap to keep
they have the ahhhhhh factor:p

They're fun, nippy and turbo-charged:D

I wish I was small enought to still ride ponies properly (14.2 is about as small as I can go nowaday:()

Are there any good reasons why adults shouldn't ride ponies?

There are only two good reason you couldn't ride a pony (of the smaller variety) :

1) weight - if you're too heavy to ride pony's you just have to accept it and ride something bigger that can carry you better. I would LOVE to ride Lucy (shetland) but at nearly 11st I'm too heavy:(

2) height - tall (i.e me at 5'8) riders are unbalancing for smaller ponies regardless of how well you ride or how much you weigh. It makes their job very difficult and you need to sympathetic to that.

Other than that there is no good reason not to. You do need to be aware that they are small animals and will find carrying large adults difficult but they're otherwise great fun.

Think the unbalancing part depends on the pony and its build.
My DS who is just a mite shorter than me, can hang off our Fjord mare side ways and it makes no difference to her. Doesn't unbalance her at all.

Neither one of my Icelandic's get unbalanced either. One is 12.3 hand tank and the other is 13.2 and not as broad.

So again, it just depends.:D

That wasn't quite what I meant by unbalance. It's not like them staggering sideways, just that it takes them a little extra effort that a large horse wouldn't have to make to constantly adjust the balance.

A small pony with a tall rider constantly has to adjust themselves to accomidate any sideways movement of the rider and cetrafugal forces going round corners. The centre of balance with a tall rider is much higher than they are used to. It's like a young horse having to learn to carry a rider for the first time but much more extreme and constant. It applys to all smaller ponies with a tall rider although some are better at it than others.

Oh OK... none of my pony/horses have that problem either.:D
Of course I am riding Viking horses,,,so maybe there is a difference?

They're not so panicky as horses.
They're willing to play the fool and have a laugh with you (horses feel it's beneath them)
They're far easier (and cheaper) to keep and feed.
Dont get so stressy as horses.
More affectionate than a large horse.
More intelligent.
Quicker to learn new things than horses.

That's what I can think of for the moment. The downside is they take the **** more than horses!

I dont find my horse gets stressed like my little grump does.
And not as affectionate than a large horse

But, saying that, i have the ****tiest little grump:rolleyes: :D

There are only two good reason you couldn't ride a pony (of the smaller variety) :

1) weight - if you're too heavy to ride pony's you just have to accept it and ride something bigger that can carry you better. I would LOVE to ride Lucy (shetland) but at nearly 11st I'm too heavy:(

2) height - tall (i.e me at 5'8) riders are unbalancing for smaller ponies regardless of how well you ride or how much you weigh. It makes their job very difficult and you need to sympathetic to that.

Judging by many of the children/teenagers that you see these days this is not exclusively a reason for adults not to ride ponies :rolleyes:

Shetlands can carry 11stone (for a short while!) The unbalanced idea is new to me-unless you are 6ft with 5ft of that being your body!:p
PONIES ARE THE BEST
WHO NEEDS A HORSE WHEN YOU CAN HAVE A PONY
PONIES DONT NEED AS MUCH HAY
PONIES ARE FUN RIDES (GENERALY)

newrider.com