Glue on Shoes

Miriam

Jun 24, 2000
Has anyone had any problems with them good or bad.

A girl on my yard has an Arab who last year broke her pedal bone and fractured her navicular. She was wrote off by the vets (she was not insured) but a year later has come sound enough for hacking. We are all pleased that this little mare was not put down last year (she is four now) she is so beautiful and anyone would fall in love with her. Anyway her owner is wanting to put shoes on her but does not want to risk nail on shoes as she has come this far and she do not want to knock her back. Amber is turned out during the day and brought in at night. The field beside the gate can become muddy, some of the field can become water logged due to a drain in the field over flowing if we have too much rain. For the most part the field is fine.

Amber will never be able to compete (watch her prove us wrong on this one too) so her rider (12yr old Dannielle) will hopefully compete Rhi. We are hoping to take to Holmside (for all you North East NR's) a week on Thursday. If all goes well then she may compete her in the clear round.

The only critisism I have is thier cost, about £50 a pair plus fitting.

I fit them myself, but it's still very expensive.

They are very good, I used the Mustad ones.

No problem with them at all. if they were cheaper, or comparable with nail ons I'd use them all the time.

Thanks Wally it was just that her daughter had been talking to someone who reconned (sp) they were a waste of time as they never stayed on. As you live in the Shetlands and get quite a bit of rain how do they do in the mud?

The fit has to be PERFECT, the slightest bubble in the glue will cause a weak point, Mine stayed on for as long as I needed. You have to keep everything spotlessly clean too, grease will cause the glue to not stick properly too. You have to sand and de grease the hoof with acetone BP. it has to be pure acetone. The cloth you use has to be an untreated cotton material otherwise it will leave a residue and the glue won't stick. Once de greased both the shoe and the hoof cannot be touched by bare hands. You cannot rush putting them on and you have to be very careful about the fit.

If you use hoof oil this will reduce the stickability.

Because you have a huge surface area taking the strain, not just 5-6 nails, the shoes stay on well. I lost one once in the mud after the horses had a really mad half hour, the shoe came off but all the tabs were still firmly glued to the wall of the hoof!

I liked them a great deal, good grip/slip ratio little concussion and light. Get the price down and they'd be more common. I'd certainly use them on Ugla's hind feet, she cannot take nails in her back feet, don't know why, she has to go unshod on the backs. If her work ever increased and she needed hinds we'd have to use them, but at the moment she's fine barefoot behind!

Wally just talked to a friend of mine tonight who was saying that a girl I know had them put on her horse by the same farrier we use and they only lasted two weeks. Don't know if it was the fault of the farrier not putting them on right or the show. I know Ibex has had some slating as not being very good.

newrider.com