goats (pygmy) what are they like?

BlueWicked

fluff-free
Jan 13, 2008
in the real world...
Ive met someone who has pygmy goats and i fell in love with the kids :eek::D They are the most gorgeous thing Ive ever seen - (apart from Blue of course:p).

Then she tells me the kids are for sale....:eek::cool:

So, any one tell me anything about them?

Do they climb fences & escape easily? Are they easy to move about? Can you lead them?

Pygmy goats I don't know about particularly, but I adore goats and we had a pet one once, she was really affectionate and funny but be prepared, they're not lawn mowers, will eat all the heads off your roses first, and billy goats stink in the winter. And that's all I know about goats. :D

goets need shelter, they are not waterproof.
they can jump and sort of shimmy up things,
they will eat any thing , horses tails, they will ring trees so that they will die ( chew all the bark off )
need forage sort of grazing, they are browsers, so branches, hay nettles ect as well as grass.
this is what a breeder told me when I asked, dont know any more though

my yard has a grumpy old nanny goat, shes not a pygmy goat, shes quite moody, and will rear at people she doesnt know, and butts loads of people...they keep her tied up on a loooong chain in a small paddock. (i love her though....shes my little friend..although about 11.2....so for a goat, not partic small!)

they used to have a pygmy goat aparently, that just wandered round the yard and fields never had a problem with it

Buy them - you know you want to!!

Elmo never bothered with manes/tales etc and would happily graze in the paddock with the horses or even go into C's stable with him for some hay or a drink - you probably will have to ensure you have good fencing to keep them in though and the little buggers can jump (I witnessed Elmo clear a good 2 foot with ease):rolleyes:

So, any one tell me anything about them?

Do they climb fences & escape easily? Are they easy to move about? Can you lead them?

You can train them, but they take some convincing. They will get out of just about anything, climb on just about anything and drive you nuts.

I hear they are good roast ;)

Last livery yard I was on had them.. 4 of them! They were gorgeous but did eat the post and Gizzy (the maddest one) was a demon to get into the feed room but they are charming and I like them.

Get them! They're cute!

You also have to make sure there is nothing growing that is poisonous to goats as they will eat it regardless. Please go and get them, I want to see pictures!

I used to take ours everywhere on a lead, she would sit on the front seat of my car and be chauffered around. She also used to get into the house, pee on the carpets and sleep on the beds.

And the best thing was, if anyone brought children onto the yard we would let her out and she'd tup them so they didn't stay very long. :D

You can train them, but they take some convincing. They will get out of just about anything, climb on just about anything and drive you nuts.

I hear they are good roast ;)

oooh or kebabs, mm goat kebab, or curried goat.
my aunty called her goat dinner, to remind her what they bought it for............
it died of old age, still called dinner

I have normal sized goats and they are great but as Wally says they get out of anything, you think Shetland ponies are escape artists until you meet a goat :eek: Ours has even gone through the (closed) stable window ala Starsky and Hutch because she saw Stephen walk past with a feed bucket........(she was completely unscathed...the window wasn't!)

Mine all have collars on and I do have aspirations to break Gonzalez (castrated billy goat) to harness :D

If you walk them outside of your own property you need to abide by DEFRA guidelines - my local office told me I could walk them on the road provided I didn't go onto an unfenced road or path amongst sheep and turned back if I met sheep, I also have to note the route of every walk down in case of notifiable disease outbreaks, they do let me off filling in a movement form for every walk though!

Last edited:
not sure if this will work...

images

Consider!

images

Consider!

PMSL - go on BW - you know you want to!!

I'd agree that larger goats can be difficult - Elmo is an anglo Nubian and on his back legs is taller than me - can jump high, likes to randomly attack people, will run over the top of you for a bucket of feed but is the most adorable creature I've ever met!:D

newrider.com