Goats

bettyboo2

Jul 27, 2006
Yorkshire
Anyone know about goats? Thinking about getting a couple of castrated billys to keep the weeds down in our paddocks, lots of docks nettles etc round the edges. Plenty of grass too. Are goats easy to look after? Would they get on ok with horses etc - or should I just stick to weed killer. We've got a few separate paddocks so they could be on their own.

i had a few goats a couple of years ago...a mother and daughter - pain in the ar*e!!.
they didnt like the horses, plus they had horns, so we decided they should go into a separate feild and into the stable at night etc.
but they do eat most things down, but then again, they were LAZY! lol.

xx elz xx

We had goats and found them to be pleasant and very cute as kids. They are virtually impossible to contain, however, so your fencing must be top notch or your landscaping will suffer.

GOats are a apin in the bum. They won't eat anything you want them to and everything you don't want them to. They love being awkward and will proberly chew rugs etc. Steer clear if i were you weedkiller is alot easier.

Def not in with the horses as they eat manes and tails and the horses just let them-very odd!
Not very good at eating weeds unless large number of goats in very small paddock.

I have heard you need 6 foot fencing for goats. We had one once rescued fron southall sales, only for a week till he got a nice goaty home but he was sweet!

Our nanny goat who was only about 60 lbs and a mid-size goat would rear up and attempt to butt my children who were about 9 years old at the time.

I later found out that one of them tried to ride her (!@~!) so apparently she was fully justified in her behavior. She was a Nubian cross without horns but both boys were then terrified of her! (They are identical twins so the goat took after them both after that, although only one tried the riding stunt.) ;)

Goats are browsers, not grazers, they want bushies to munch and will clear a 4 foot fence from a standstill to go in search.

We have 3, a Toggenburg and 2 Anglo Nubian nutters! They need a very firm hand and a lot of electric zapps to teach them to stay put and not go a-murdering......of other folks hedges, and veg. patches. Sheep are more controllable, well, the lowland types, not N. Ronaldsay or Shetland they jump like goats, and don't herd, they scatter.

Goats are wonderful, and everything people have said is true: they don't graze, they won't eat nettles and brambles unless you cut them down, they eat tree bark and roses, and they see every fence as a challenge. If they can't jump a fence, they'll climb it until it falls down, and electric fences don't scare them. If you tether them, they wind the chain round and round the stake until they've got plenty of leverage, then they can pull it up easily and go where they like.

But it's only uncastrated males that stink.

:)

We have pygmies that stay with the horses and LOVE them. They are very smart and funny.
They do clim trees and even cars:
goatsoncar.jpg

They do not have a strong will to survive though. Usually they are playing all the time but when they get sick, boy they get REALLY sick very quickly.

Neither one of our goats butts anybody other than the other goats. They have horns but are gentle with other pets and people. However we were careful to never play butting games with them when they were little and it would have been cute because we knew it wouldn't be so cute when they were big.

Last edited:
If you get sheep get a big fat lowland stoopid type, not welsh or Shetland or North Ronaldsay, or Castlemilk Moorit, all these wild mountain breeds will have you grey in a matter of minutes.

We breed angora goats and they get on well with our horses and our llamas. We graze them with the horses who seem to like the company. They do eat weeds and are particularly partial to dandelions. As browsers they will try most things so keep them out of the garden!

They are not the escape artists that dairy goats tend to be. All that fleece weighs them down and they are much more docile. Like horses they need their vacinations, wormers and feet trimmed. And can be used a complimentary grazers to reduce the worm burden in horses.
IMG_0556.jpg

newrider.com