Going to view a horse tomorrow

Loveslayla

Dec 30, 2019
I’ve been matched to a 14.3hh cob... a friend of a friend is selling their horse as they are wanting to compete at higher level. I’m not actively looking for a horse but if the right horse came along I would be tempted.
This horse is a safe, schoolmaster, can hack out alone or in a group. Can jump, hunt, school you name it he sounds ideal.
He is of good health- he’s 9year

What things do I need to be looking for tomorrow and what questions do I need to ask

Can't really advise, as I've done it twice, and followed heart, not head! Turn up early and watch him being caught/got ready, tacked up etc. Ask the usual, (Good for vet, farrier, to box, catch?) Sweet itch or other issues? If you feel safe and confident to do so, run your hands up and down his legs, pick up a foot, see how he behaves while you do it (or at least get someone to do it for you)Watch someone ride, then ride yourself. Does he live out, in? If you're like me, you'll forget to ask loads. I remembered about 3 of the above!

Reactions: Trewsers
Ask to see his passport. To check vaccinations are up to date, age tallies with what they are telling you. See if he has any previous owners. Obviously check for lumps and bumps like sarcoids. Ask if hes had any injuries, vet treatment other than routine. Have teeth been done. If hes coming with tack ask when the saddle was last checked on him.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
I would also recommend to take a person with you who knows a lot about horses because sometimes you don't have such an objective view of the horse yourself. It is important to ask what injuries the horse has already had, you should ask for the vet's records and preferably do a purchase examination yourself. Take a close look at the horse and test different situations to get an impression, because most people talk a lot when the day is long :) Test the horse indoors, outdoors, in the field, when cleaning, saddling, undoing, jumping, with other horses or in the hall and so on...Then find out how well the horse is tolerated in the meadow, whether it can be loaded...the more you ask, the better it is. Good luck!

Best regards
John Williams

Reactions: Huggy
If you want to hack, watch the seller hack him and then hack him yourself. He will be in the surroundings he knows. People sometimes complain on forums that a horse who has hacked safely for one person wont hack for another.
I personally cant ride cobs or wide backed horses. So make sure the horse fits your body shape. A bit like trying on shoes.

Reactions: Huggy
Fallow you’re head not your heart . don’t do what I did I bought a extremely lazy horse that was young and was very green to jumping as my first horse lucky I had a amazing instructor that trained her up for me and it worked out brilliant . The most popular questions to Ask what has the horse doing. How high can the horse jump . Is the horse easily to catch. Just be careful about asking questions a lot of sellers will lie . I wish you the best of luck I hope it works out for you .

newrider.com