going western

james29

May 24, 2012
well we had a spare stable for a new horse and hansel came up and we already know him because he is kept on the yard and i have always liked the thought of going western so since he came up for sale with view to buy we jumped at the chance.
my partner is happy now as she gets to keep roxy and silver all to her self and ill have my little western boy lol.
he is going to need some work to get back into it as has been ridden english for a while so we will have some work to do and im going to need some western lessons.he was backed western and had some more training before being ridden english so fingers crossed he will pick it all back up again easy.
only got the one pic of him at the moment but will get more this weekend.
he is only 5year old and is a welsh x arab

photo_zpsa1e368d5.jpg

im looking forward to our new adventure :smile: and looking foward to the nice saddle he has came with.abit on the heavy side but ill get used to it

What a gorgeous looking boy, and he looks great tacked up Western too. I often think my own boy would suit Western. Hope you have lots of fun together and looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

I am a bit black and white when it comes to western, but my knowledge of doing western before is its exactly like English except for the contact.
You still use the same cues, body, weight, focus as you do English. Obviously the spins and departs are western as are the sliding stops. If you share a school you may not be a favourite for practising those in there, and do use the boots.

That saddle is a bottoms best friend especially for the jog. :wink:

Have fun we want more photos. Hint.

hey thanks for the replys.
he does look good in his western gear bless him.
i will get some more pics after the weekend for everyone and plus also i want to keep track of our progress.
we have some manners to learn first on the ground as he has forgot some of them and he needs some minor tlc but he will get there.
but hopefully we will be off out on all day on some good adventures.

Gorgeous boy!

I'd recommend going for western riding lessons before riding him, so that you make sure you don't confuse him!

I went for a western trek in Cheltenham, although I ride my horse very relaxed with a long contact, it was still quite different on this horse

Gorgeous boy!

I'd recommend going for western riding lessons before riding him, so that you make sure you don't confuse him!

I went for a western trek in Cheltenham, although I ride my horse very relaxed with a long contact, it was still quite different on this horse

yeah im planning on some basic lessons and also the owner is going to be comming out and showing me the basics etc but we are mainly going to be just having some relaxed hacks out and alot of in hand work

newrider.com