Gone from 2 to choose between to horses of all types lol

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
Well my current list of options has expanded in the last few days, it's now the older kwpn lad, an ex racer mare of 7, a 13 year old Tb gelding, and a haflinger mare....had a few others aswell but have discounted them for various reasons.
All are so different with different quirks I've no idea yet lol. Thought I'd update you all on my quest lol

I've not had any dealings with haffies. This one is a mare. Not done anything for 7 months. Can be Bolshy and mareish to handle but is also affectionate intelligent and likes a scratch and fuss. Done dressage with previous owner. Doesn't sound like she's done much with current one. They can't bond with her at all

Oh I'd pick the Haffy's any day of the week, but I am biased as I own one :)
For what it's worth Belle tried it on a bit with me when I first got her and I think though I may be wrong that they are the sort of horse who will given the chance walk all over you, but given an owner who sets clear boundaries and is consistent with them they are amazing little horses who once they get to know you will try anything you ask and give it everything they have (with the occasional tantrum thrown in for good measure) once on your side you have a friend for life. Well that's how I feel anyhow.
I do believe though that a lot of people don't like the new breed Haflinger ie the more refined ones rather than the good old fashioned draught type, seems they may have had their super temperament bred out.
If you want something that will stand all day to be fussed and pampered the Haffy's is the way to go.

I've not had any dealings with haffies. This one is a mare. Not done anything for 7 months. Can be Bolshy and mareish to handle but is also affectionate intelligent and likes a scratch and fuss. Done dressage with previous owner. Doesn't sound like she's done much with current one. They can't bond with her at all
I think that's half the problem ,they are too intelligent for their own good. :)

I tried 3 Haffies when I was looking for Ziggy. I thought that given their pony looks they would be nice gentle quiet horses. None of them were! They were all beautiful and quite sharp. Of course then I bought Ziggy, who was a basket case, so perhaps I should have got one of the Haffies!

@Jane&Ziggy that did make me chuckle. They can be sharp but not as sharp as Ziggy I don't imagine. I didn't want a Haffy's as I had heard terrible things about them but I'm sooo glad I tried her.

I am drawn to her simply because I like horses with a brain and an opinion (anything too well behaved and there's no fun or challenge lol)
I don't have a "type" but anything with a quirk and a brain that nobody else can get on with is generally my type lol

Tell us a bit more about them all! I must say, from the info you've given so far I'd be most interested in the 7yo and the haffy (and I'm not keen on them, but I do love it when you see a good one. The ones I've played with in the past have attempted to kill me lol!)

I got told don't get anything normal it wont suit you. But I realise now what a cob with an opinion is really like. :)

I would like to know more on the second two, first two I would simply be over horsed, don't know about you.
The haffy would attract me because it sounds like she knows who she will work with. If you didn't click though, I would walk away. A horse that won't gel with you, won't gel with you.

I had a haffie cross years ago, he was bloomin' fab, he was however nicknamed 'the tank' as nothing much would stop him but even with that he was super safe and 100% looked after everyone, I trained him to put himself out and to bed at night (I just had to open the doors/gates) so def. intelligent :D

It would be the haffie all day long for me... I don't and haven't had one, but my experience is that a haffie will be the most loyal and forgiving friend, safe as houses... once you pass their entrance exams!!! They are strong minded, and they definitely win in the pony-testing-the-boundaries business, but so much fun, character and once you have an understanding, they are incredibly loyal and affectionate.

Haflinger would tempt me. A friends granddaughter has one and he does everything from novice dressage to hunter trials. She's now graduated onto a flashy event type and her gran is trying to sell me the pony. Very tempted!

It depends what you want the horse for. If you plan to compete in dressage an unbacked five year old will be seven or eight before you start.
If its a mare and has bred foals fine, if not alarm bells go off. The no rider excuse doesn't wash with me.

newrider.com