good news!! (about steal to order gang)

Just had a text from a friend saying 3 European men, in red landcruiser and a white van was seen taking pictures of my friends coloured cob, chesnut and white cob and her shetland pony (only 2 minute drive from me)!

Contact your local police on the non-emergency number, see if they've had any similar reported sightings or thefts in your area.

Last year on the yard I am on and around Appleby time, it was robbed of all the tack.

5 days ago police visited as there have been some goings on nearby, just to warn us to be keeping an eye out.

3 days ago a fella was loitering at yard entrance and when asked what he wants he started asking how big one of the mares was and if she jumped.

YO is getting cctv...can never be too careful. (Doesnt bring stolen stuff back but can be a deterrant(sp)) All the security lights were smashed last year.

Thing is, we cant go locking stuff up due to fire hazards...it is worrying even at the best of times.

I do believe there is something going on as it has happened on my yard although it is easy for things to get blown up into bigger things.

S x x

Contact your local police on the non-emergency number, see if they've had any similar reported sightings or thefts in your area.

My friends mum has phoned them and not that of which they know of has been any similar sightings etc, but they are going to keep their eyes&ears open!

Last I heard from my old yard was that they weren't stealing the horses, only doping them and stealing trailers. I don't know what to believe, but at the end of the day we should all carry on being vigilant and keep each other posted. You can't be too careful can you?

Does anyone know if theses men have actually stolen any horses yet or do they just have a large collection of photo's ?

on sunday in chorley lancs, a relative was riding her coloured cob when she realised she was being tailed by blue van kjm611 white van n253 xaj they would'nt pass her and followed her to the stables.she put her cob in the field and a short time later saw men in the field taking pics she chased them and they jumped into the vehicles and drove off. they had walky talkies. they returned early this morning with a trailer attached and were again chased off across the fields. they are stealing ! ....appleby is on friday and if anyone has had a coloured horse stolen i suggest they get there to look!

now, that's a little unfair. I think the police are taking this seriously. But heresay and the rumour mill are blowing all stories beyond all reasonable proportions! yes, horses get stolen at any time. But the posting on forums (not just NR) recently amounts to scaremongering. Check with your local police, see if there have been any reports of horse thefts or suspicious vehilces around livery yards/fields.

The police take almost everything seriously...............yet look at the state of the country.

Incidently, eventerbabe, it seems that there were no horses stolen near Stonehaven last night.

As you rightly predicted, it was a rumour, and a rumour which seems to have started in your 'country', as it seems it stemmed from someone spotting a vehicle parked near some horses............it turns out the occupant of the vehicle (probably aware that the police take their jobs very seriously) had only stopped to make a phone call.

Someone put two and two together...............and the rumour went from there.

I got a text from someone who cares enough to warn me as they know how much I value my horses, and how devastated I'd be to lose any of them.

It just shows you......rumours can start anywhere. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
these people that are taking photos and stealing these horses will not be silly enough to take them to a well known fair with hundreds of gypsy and non gypsys, some gypsys have had people taking photos and stealing there coloured horses if they ended up there god knows what would happen i think there is a big stealing racket going on where there making big bucks abroad and gypsys are not easten european and who ever these people are there very clever because this lot has done there homework and its big buisness as some coloureds go for megga money abroad.

What it shows me is that it's a good idea to investigate any such rumours before forwarding them on to everyone in your address book! ;)

Good job my original post in the cafe area was a question rather than a statement then, eh?

;)

Found this on another forum;

12 horses were stolen yesterday from preston and 2 from myerscough collage

Starting to get quite scared now. to be quite honest..i dont think its a hoax, it may be exaggerated(sp?) a bit but theres deffinatly someone/some people going around stealing horses, whether its to order or not :(

This is just getting bleeding ridiculous now i think.:rolleyes:

Every horse forum i have visited within the week has reported the same people simultaniously in different parts of the country AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Come on now people, as Wally said take it with a pinch of salt. (I dont live in shetland BTW ;):D)

OP if it was the horse theives then good on the OH. If not watch out for a police visit ;):D

Nikki xxxx

The police take almost everything seriously...............yet look at the state of the country.

Incidently, eventerbabe, it seems that there were no horses stolen near Stonehaven last night.

As you rightly predicted, it was a rumour, and a rumour which seems to have started in your 'country', as it seems it stemmed from someone spotting a vehicle parked near some horses............it turns out the occupant of the vehicle (probably aware that the police take their jobs very seriously) had only stopped to make a phone call.

Someone put two and two together...............and the rumour went from there.

I got a text from someone who cares enough to warn me as they know how much I value my horses, and how devastated I'd be to lose any of them.

It just shows you......rumours can start anywhere. :)

and that's my fault is it? :rolleyes: i'm not saying the originator of the 'rumor' was wrong, it always pays to be vigilant BUT they should have gone to the police not started yet another chinese whisper about fictional horse thefts :rolleyes: you think i wouldn't be devestated to lose mine? keeping horses is stressful enough without people sending such textx making us all go out of our minds with worry.

Well, it's times like this I am glad we are where we are.

Hopefully everyone stopping and photographing our lot are ordinary tourists.

horse theft does go in here ;) ;) no really it does!

newrider.com