Good vibes needed laminintis update post 15

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So sox has been on the steriods for a week now. Well a week this Saturday just gone.
However Saturday night he had strong pulses but at the time I couldn't keep him in. I was down early Sunday morning due to work and his pulses were pretty much bounding so I kept him in with a deep bed and wet hay and rang the vet after work as to whether to give him the steriods that night. He firmly told me not to . Not until his pulses had come down and to ring my vet first thing tomorrow to dicuss other treatments.
Soxs pulses have come down alot thank god!
However I still rang the vet. I felt his pulses today and they were there but no were near as strong as before.

A farrier was down so I asked him to have a look and he said it may just been concussion from the hard ground but if his pulses are up to keep him in but he doesn't think he has had laminintis. The vet returned my call and basically said we need to see him tomorrow if your work commitments don't allow it can someone hold sox tomorrow for the vet. I am down in the afternoon so the appointment is booked for then. Don't turn him out tonight. Wet hay and deep bed and vet will see him tomorrow and only after they have seen him can they see about steriods or another treatment.

:( really didn't want to have to pay for yet another vets bills so soon after the last one... which I haven't even got yet... its only been two weeks since the vet was last down...

Just want my horse back :(

I think its best to let the vet look. He will hopefully confirm it one way or another. It seems a shame keeping him in if its not - but I guess you have to be careful. When you started the steroid course what likelihood of him getting lami did the vet predict? He's not overweight is he? And never had it before that you know of? Is he still okay in himself?

Just wanted to add: the farrier will have had a good idea. They are very good usually at spotting even low grade. Well, they noticed when J had low grade once.

Hey trews. The vet was suggesting it was low due to him been underweight really and 'not fat' I did ask about whether he needed to be in in the day and out on the night, apparently not. He has never had lami since I have owned him. His fine in himself just getting fed up and wants to be out. Farrier did say he didn't think he has had lami though.

Hot weather raises pulses, as does exercise - if your weekend was like ours it was pretty warm.

That said I did heavily restrict madams grazing to start with when on steroids but I don't have any issues now and she lives out 24/7

Reactions: Trewsers
Hot weather raises pulses, as does exercise - if your weekend was like ours it was pretty warm.

That said I did heavily restrict madams grazing to start with when on steroids but I don't have any issues now and she lives out 24/7

I know it is pretty warm here aswell. When I checked his pulses at half 6 sunday morning ( I was working) his pulses were bounding. He hasn't been worked in atleast a week.

I had several instances of Jess having elevated and strong pluses last winter, In feb I called the vet in a royal old panic because they were really strong and she is normally dead according to most folks (very difficult to find the pulses at the pastern), after many scares and repeated calls to my vet & farrier I have established that Jess's pluses vary hugely depending on temps and what she has been doing, the reason they were suddenly noticed as high is I had just stared checking them more regularly as I had taken her off the prasend (cushings meds) so I was concerned about the increased chance of lami, so now I know with her pulses alone don't mean imminent lami, I look at the coronet/hair line, check sensitivity in the toe etc along with pulses, basically just saying hopefully its nothing :) though a vet bill to tell you it is nothing is very frustrating I agree

Update! I didn't reply yesterday due to been knackered!
Vet watched him turn in right circles and watched as he trotted up. He appears sounder then before. Went around his hooves with the testers.
Though he didn't think sox had had lami as thay normally affects either his front or all so it was strange that one of his hinds and one of his fore were.stronger on different days. That what my version of 'bounding pulse' is different to his.
He said to half the dose of the steriods and see how he goes with that. Ideally he would like him back upto the full dose. So he is on half a dose for a month and to update then in two weeks.
No work for the week then after the week he can been worked but walk only. He said to be vigilant with him still and continue to monitor his pulses. He can go back out in the field full time. If his pulses go up again basically box rest again and possible call them.

Reactions: Jessey
Update!
It's only been 4 days since matt gave sox the all clear. Felt his pulses today . Well this morning around the normal time before work and his hinds were quite strong. Not as strong as last Saturday but they have always been quite faint up until today. Sox wanted to turn around to follow me back at the gate. He did a tight cicle and appeared to struggle doing this of his own accord which is worrying me slightly.

Going to see how he is later after work and go from there though I am thinking he may need to stay in for a day or two.
He has been on the poor grass since matt saw him and only spent 45 mins in the big field after he ducked under the fence. I don't want to be seen as been OTT with him as last weekend when he was in,matt thought it wasn't lami that he had. So not too sure what to do. Thinking we may need to go back to the topical treatments instead

I think he will be fine:) Its not like you didn't get him checked. You might do more harm than good keeping him in - and by that I mean he'll behave like a loon when he does get back out. Can you find a happy medium if you're worried? Half and half - maybe a few hours out and a few indoors?

If the steroids are improving the skin you have to weigh up the difficulties. I found once steroids were in her system she adapted. Pulses and heat are quite unreliable tests - it's been warm here which will increase pulses.

Reactions: Trewsers
If the steroids are improving the skin you have to weigh up the difficulties. I found once steroids were in her system she adapted. Pulses and heat are quite unreliable tests - it's been warm here which will increase pulses.

I agree, pulse feeling can be unreliable. And heat, Storm sometimes has quite a bit of warmth going on but (touches wood) it has never meant anything sinister.

I have a laser thermometer and jess foot temp can vary by 10 or more degrees on 1,2,3 or all 4 feet and her pulses can become stronger and or faster but still not be what the vets consider bounding. Having said that I would never risk suspected lami, perhaps see if there is a farrier coming out in the next day or two who will reccomend you call the vet or not (they cant diagnose anything legally) I always call my farrier first for anything near the foot after my initial scares last winter. Out of interest, when jess had lgl her temp was normal and pulses couldnt be found.... Strange animal!

newrider.com