Goodbye, kind pony

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I owe you all an explanation of where I have been for the last couple of months.

Ziggy was put down today after a really awful bout of what I would have to call relapsing and remitting laminitis. 3 weeks ago, when my trimmer came, he seemed well on the way to recovery after 6 weeks of box rest, sound in the field at walk and trot, happy, cheerful and cheeky. About a week after the trim he got worse, and this time he didn't get better again. Every day he was more sore, and this last week despite more and more bute he didn't even want to leave the shelter when I was mucking him out, just stood on the softest spot he could find and looked miserable.

Everyone who knows him agreed that it was time, and so he was put down in the field at noon today with me and his friend and carer Carol attending him. He had 3 bute this morning so that he could go out and stuff his face with the long grass while we waited for the vet. He was so happy! As you would expect, he was as good as gold, snuffled the (very sweet, kind, young lady) vet for treats, hardly seemed to notice the needle, and slipped away without a struggle while Carol and I stroked him and told him how wonderful he was.

Mattie is distraught,: although we let him stand by while it happened and he sniffed Ziggy and seemed to understand, when the man winched the body onto the trailer he became demented and hurled himself screaming around the track at full gallop after the trailer as it left. He's calmer now, but is still calling and calling.

I just feel as if someone has hollowed out the middle of me. I've never felt so empty.

He was the kindest, most generous pony, and I loved him. Goodbye, beautiful boy.

I'm so very sorry Jane xxx

Mattie will come round with time, but for now a little bit of sedation may make life easier for both of you if he's finding it too hard. Not a lot, just enough to take the edge off his behaviour. And if you can bear it then spend time with him, it may help both of you.

Sleep tight Ziggy xxx

Oh you poor love! I am so sorry that it all went tits up so quickly! Absolutely the right decision but that doesn't make it any easier. Bye bye Ziggy.... truly the end of an era xxxx

Oh god, I'm so terribly sorry. It hurts so much, but you helped him when he needed you to. Rest easy Ziggy.

Thanks @carthorse , I've just been over to see Mattie and he was a wreck - trembling from head to foot and tucked up. He's now fed and warm and I have given him a double dose of v-calm, so I hope he feels better soon. Good advice.

So sorry to read this. It’s the worst thing you have to do, but at the same time, the kindest thing too.
That empty feeling will be there for a while but you know Ziggy is at peace.
Hugs for you xx

Oh Jane you tried so very very hard for Ziggy not just these last couple of months but over the years he was a much loved pony that will be missed.

Rest now little one enjoy the grass xxx

Oh I am so sorry - run free gorgeous pretty lad - and enjoy the grass up there. I hope you can feel my kind thoughts, and also sending vibes for Mattie xxxxx

So sorry to hear this.
Laminitis can be horrible with no good
Outcome. Your decision was the kindest.
Its good you let him have all the grass he wanted.
With Max it was carrots apples and things he was not allowed to have so long due to Cushings. It was late winter so there wasnt any grass.
Both Andi and Sonny said goodbye.
Andi was much more emotional and it took a couple days for her to settle down.
Hopefully Mattie settles soon.

Hes running pain free with the wind.
When you see lovely sunrises thats him saying mom I'm doing ok.

Oh Jane I’m so very sorry to read this, my heart goes out to you. RIP little Ziggy, run free. Xx

As most regulars will know I no longer use the forum - but a good friend alerted me to this very sad post and how could I not tell you Jane how very sorry I am and I hope you and Mattie too very soon come to terms with today's sad events. Run free Ziggy - famous and much loved NR equine forum user. :( x

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
I am so sorry to read this thread. I know how much you loved Ziggy. Look after yourself, I can’t imagine how dreadful you must be feeling.x

so so sorry and sad. we lost rosie in a similar way, years of battling laminitis finished by cushings. the happy periods got less and less. it's horrible when you just run out of options and things to do and it is time. It is so nice when they go peacefully and it is horrible watching the body being taken away, ours are buried in the field so the others get a chance to say goodbye. Feel for you, it's such a wrench. sleep tight Ziggy.

So sorry and saddened to read this. We got our ponies and joined the forum at roughly the same time, Ziggy has always felt like a 'friend' to me.

I'm glad he enjoyed his last few hours and that his passing was peaceful. You should be very proud that you gave him such a good life, even at the end. I do hope you and Mattie feel better soon.

Run free little Ziggy xxx

newrider.com