Gorgeous Palomino,,, but,,,,

ponypinkyp

Aug 12, 2004
Worcestershire
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Went to look at the most stunning 13,3hh Palomino mare tonight with a view to buying for my daughter to ride in approx 2 yrs,, in the meantime I would be riding her with my instructor present and with his help in the saddle and out of.

I arrived to see her being schooled fine,, she was lovely! Then we went to the jumping area,,, she flew from an almost trot over those jumps like they werent there! Totally 'full of it'!
She had had 2 months off work by today,,,,, and we walked her back to the menage after watching.

I got on!,,, Bloody hell!

Okay,, so we are walking,,,, okay,, trrrrot on!,,,,, fine for all of 3 seconds then double backs on herself in canter! All I caan hear is 'lean back, lean back!' I had no control! Themore I pulled and sat, the moe she took the bit and went!

Absolutley FULL OF IT!

I really want this pony,, she is lovely,, and the owner says she responds to voice, not aids 'wish she had said this before I got on'! She said that she loves jumping and gets fizzy around them because she is excited. Because she only jumped 3 fences tonight, I think she was expecting more,,, not for me to get on!

I got off and watched her owner with her for a while,,, she bucked and headshook with her on ,,, took her into canter and seemed to get worse.

Was it because she hadnt been ridden for 2 months and took on the jumping menage before being excersized enough,, or should I be concerned about this?

I bought my daughter a palomino and everyone then told me they 'were worse then chestnut mares':D

Yes the pony will have been sharper than normal but are you sure not working wasn't an excuse? If she is being sold I would have though most owners would work her at least a bit before showing her to prospective purchasers.

Ours turned out all right in the end but was one of the sharpest ponies I have ever dealt with (out of about 50), first ride took three adults to take her 100m from stable to school and early outings including a 1/2mile gallop back to our trailer the first time a dressage judge pressed her horn :eek:

Be careful don't be taken in by the stunning looks. We have looked at several other palominos and most are sharpish. Our is now 25 and can be ridden by competent small 11 yos in the indoor school, I still wouldn't let many children ride her outside.

Silver duns and the 'almost palominos' don't seem to suffer from the same issues and look almost as good.

can you not take her on trial to see what she is like when fit and working, could her problems be worked on and schooled? if it is going to be two years before your daughter rides her you could school her.

agree a price before the trial as you are going to be putting work into her.

how old is the pony? she sounds very green... or has simply been used to bomb around on.

If your prepared to retrain its worth considering at the right price, My chap was a git when he arrived, really quite dangerous. He had been chucked out of some old loan home before I got him, for trying to kill the farrier, and also a handler in the field!!.. Hes quite a lamb now tho however!

if your daughters not going to ride for 2 years that gives you plenty of time to get on with some training. Sounds like he could do with a good MOT to perhaps :)

She is 17,,,, They told me that she was VERY forward going before I saw her. Just didnt realise how much! They also said that she LOVES to jump!

I would have her schooled yes,, think it would be the best thing to do,, just dont want to make the wrong decision.

She seemed to be okay when I arrived at their yard tonite,,,, but she decided to take her down to the jumps approx 10 mins afterwe arrived.
Once she was down there she became this 'loon'!

Took her over 3 jumps and walked her back to the menage'.

Thats when I got on!

Assured me that it was due to her having 2 months off,,, but I have left my pony for longer and hes never been that bad.

Also,, when I got off,,,,, I aksed the girl to take her into canter for a while,, to get rid of some of her energy!! So she did.

After a few minutes of the pony playing up again.

Her mum said that makes her worse! Fizz's her up even more!

Thats never right surely?

if today is the first day she has been ridden in 2 months and shes fit enough to be jumping and is that hyper after being ridden for that long i would be worried - sounds to me as if it hasnt been out of work and they are using that as an excuse for it misbehaving

if it genuinely HAS been out of work then you wonder at the sanity of the owners letting it jump... and also you might wonder how nutty it will be when it is fitter

I would walk away, especially if its for your daughter! At 17 it should be calmer, the fact that you want her for a kids pony would put me off her. You do not want your child to lose her confidence!

Walk away now, you really cant buy something because it is pretty. Why has she had 2 months off?

Also in 2 years the pony will be 19, I realise ponies have a long lifespan however you have to think of maintenance with vets and insurance etc.

DONT BUY HER she sounds a complete nut job .You cant buy a horse just cos sh looks pretty .She could badly injure you or your daughter

:)Has she just come back into work after the 2 months off as she could be fresh from not being ridden? Could you not get someone to compete her in the 2 years so you will still get enjoyment from her untill your daughter can ride her.

Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing with her.

Keep her for 2 yrs and work with her,,, my trainer is pretty good at problem horses so would have help.

There is no way on earth I would be buying this pony for my little girl,,,, I wouldnt even be buying her for myself until she was schooled a lot! She is a good price and comes with tack,, maybe fresh from 2 mths off work, who knows. Perhaps I should take my trainer up to see her, see what he thinks?

Just wanted to share my experience and get some ideas.

So this pony was unfit, having not been ridden for 2 months, yet was jumping? her muscles have probably changed shape due to her not having been in work, so the saddle may have been irritating her. Plus of course she was excited and you were noth new to each other ... No wonder she behaved as she did! I would definitely go back and try her out again, have your trainer ride/view her as well ... give her a chance.

Good luck!

A question none of us have asked, how old is your daughter and why is the pony for two years time?

At the very best this sounds like a competent experienced teenagers ride, sadly these days they are often too big for 13.2 by the time they are competent enough. No amount of schooling will change the ponies fundemental charecter.

I am going to be very blunt here and hopefully save you from making a mistake. I'm only doing it cause time and time again I see and read the exact same.

Firstlys she's 17....... it's hard to insure veterans fully, I'd be suprised if she'd pass a 5 stage vetting.
No proper owner would jump their horse after 2 months off - if they think this is acceptable then she will most likely have some underlying issues.
She sounds like a nightmare that will only get worse.
Regardless of price the schooling it sounds like she'd need would cost you a bomb.
She's also older so will have a lot of learned habits/tricks - schooling wont always get rid of those.

Yes do def get your instructor to see any pony (your posts here make me question your experience of buying (no disrespect)).

newrider.com