Got chased my gypsy kids on quadbike while riding

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Thinking of a yard change.

We get a lot of trouble from the gypsies up here who live across the road. They are always in the fields with dogs, hit and chase the horses aswell as hitting golf balls at them. Its awful, police don't do anything.

I'm scared of the trotters they have anyway and today was the final straw, don't need my horse being freaked out like that was scary.

So yeah yard move time, if I get a job with horses then I will take my boy with me anyway but if nothing else comes up not sure where I will go. Limited to good yards near my house, don'thhave a car I cycle everywhere.

Don't need this right now horse can still only do walk hacks and got vet out wed to look at his hocks. Feel like crying

Thinking of a yard change.

We get a lot of trouble from the gypsies up here who live across the road. They are always in the fields with dogs, hit and chase the horses aswell as hitting golf balls at them. Its awful, police don't do anything.

I'm scared of the trotters they have anyway and today was the final straw, don't need my horse being freaked out like that was scary.

So yeah yard move time, if I get a job with horses then I will take my boy with me anyway but if nothing else comes up not sure where I will go. Limited to good yards near my house, don'thhave a car I cycle everywhere.

Don't need this right now horse can still only do walk hacks and got vet out wed to look at his hocks. Feel like crying

assholes, The police never do anything ( from my experiences with problem gypsys) they seem to afraid to set foot on the camps.

Sounds a complete nightmare, I dont blame you for looking around for a new place - hope something turns up, I agree you dont need that worry, and potential danger neither.

How awful for you. What does your YO think? Aren't they fed up with it too? Shame on the police for not taking notice. I think you are right to look elsewhere. Sounds like a problem that isn't going to go anywhere soon.

Yes the yard owner gets stressed about it too, but the times she has contacted police nothing has been done.

Countless thefts including 2 tack room break ins and stolen a few rugs off horses backs.

Set fire to haybales in the field and fence/ hedgerow.

God knows how much else they have taken, they often cut through the wire of the fences too.

Sometimes we go a few months with no touble but recently has been very bad, I think its whene the regular guys who arnt much trouble have 'friends' staying that's where all the problems come from

That's awful :( must be horrid having that worry over your head all the time :poop:

No useful advice to give apart from get out of there pronto!! Easier said than done I know :frown:

What was the outcome with his hocks? have I missed a thread?

I would find another yard, there has to be something better than that.

If your YO is having regular problems that she has been unable to resolve herself there is usually someone within the local council who can mediate.

Has anyone tried to speak to the adults around? I have found rather than going down the police route with them speaking to them often gets more of a desired effect.

Best thing I ever learnt when gypsys move in nearby, is to make friends with them, well as much as possible anyway. Usually by buying something off them lol!!

As far as I know we are friends with the adult full time gypsies who are there, think our yard manager husband shoes their horses for them. Its just when they have visitors we get problems. we are only on good terms with 2 camps, the other 2 I am not so sure about.

What was the outcome with his hocks? have I missed a thread?

I would find another yard, there has to be something better than that.

If your YO is having regular problems that she has been unable to resolve herself there is usually someone within the local council who can mediate.

Nope I am ringing the vet today, but I only took him on an easy walk hack as advised by back lady, he will just be hacking in walk until the vet comes out. Unfortunately we ended up cantering down the road due to said gypsies :(

I will look into it, thanks.

Some councils have 'gypsy liaison officers' but not sure how effective these are. You could try bypassing your local police officers and go above them to the District Commissioner or similar. I sympathise with you.

Thankyou I will try, although not sure how to go about it

Is it an illegal camp or a council controlled camp, if its council controlled speak to the warden, if its illegal the council still has a responsibility to take action. I have my own opinions on this lot but perhaps i had better keep them to myself.

newrider.com