Grand National

I'm not really a fan of horse racing however we're doing a sweepstake in work for our chosen charity - medical support dogs.

I've got Swing Bill in the sweep so fingers crossed as I've agreed to donate my winnings to the charity too :)

I have a yearly £10 flutter on the race. This year's choice is Seabass with the woman jockey.

I bet on the ponies almost daily and have a bookies account, i just love horse racing it is indeed the sport of kings. I very rarely bet on the national as the race can be a total lottery. Mibee thats why i dont have any money i spend it on my own horses and at the bookies and the pub and the rugby, football, eating out, treating my wife to weekends away [Dublin at the end of the month for Edinburgh and Ulster semi final], Why save you are a long time dead. Just work like hell get enough to pay for the next thing you want and get it, thats what i say, just dont borrow too much thats what gets you into trouble and causes arguments at home, but i digress, however, pony racing isnt every bodys cup of tea and i can understand that especially the national its a tough race for only the best horses and jocks.

Yup. Love the National. Not sure who to back yet though. I'd love Synchronised to do the double but my head says he can't. Decisions, decisions......

I have a yearly £10 flutter on the race. This year's choice is Seabass with the woman jockey.

She did brilliantly. What a finish! The winning owner has never allowed a horse to race the National before because of the danger - and half the family refused to watch.

I understand why people hate this race. So sad that 2 more horses have died. Synchronised was a superstar. But I love National Hunt racing. It is such a supreme test of skill, stamina and courage. And if I had to come back as a horse I think a top competition horse (in any discipline) has got to be a pretty good life. So there is a lot of stuff I'd ban before jump racing.

I hate it too I'm afraid. No grandeur or thrill in it at all IMO, it just makes me sick to my stomach.

Nail biting race and good on Seabass and her jockey. That woman has balls!
Most horse sports are dangerous even hacking.
Shame for the 2 destroyed but much worse happens in the world of racing to the ones that don't make the grade.
Just my opinion the same as those against it before another fight breaks out. ;)
We had a flutter, but one didnt make it round and the we got a 3rd and 4th. No pay out as didn't bet each way. Damn!

Last edited:
I don't bet, but I did fancy Swing Bill, and Sea Bass because of his rider. I always watch it, though...

It's very sad when horses die, especially the lovely Synchronised. But I'm interested in people who'd like to ban it, though: would you ban all horse racing, or just jump racing, or just the National, or what?

I hate it too I'm afraid. No grandeur or thrill in it at all IMO, it just makes me sick to my stomach.

That's it in a nutshell for me too.

For a nation quick to jump on the sports of other countries it disgusts me that this is allowed, and cheered on. Might as well just take 40 fit and healthy horses and randomly shoot 2 or 3 of them. At least they'd get a quick and easy death.

That's it in a nutshell for me too.

For a nation quick to jump on the sports of other countries it disgusts me that this is allowed, and cheered on. Might as well just take 40 fit and healthy horses and randomly shoot 2 or 3 of them. At least they'd get a quick and easy death.

Good point. I think it's a disgusting race. RIP poor horses. As for the jockeys? No sympathy I'm afraid. They do it out of choice. Their parents didn't sh*g and say 'yay, we've bred a jockey' but the horses were bred to race, like it or not.

newrider.com