Grass Muzzles

Dizzy

Jan 11, 2001
N.E. U.K.
Visit site
My friend is going to buy one for her horse Ebony, who at the moment has laminitis. Which is the best? And has anyone had any problems with them.

Any tips or info appreciated.

Lesley

Little Midnight has a Greenguard muzzle (not the basket type). It's certainly done the trick for him. The only problem Julie found with it is that you do need to make sure it's attached to a well-fitting headcollar, otherwise it can pull down on the noseband. Also, try to avoid the headcollars with metal rings that aren't flush with the bands - Julie used one of those that has a loose metal ring to attach the lead rope to, and she found after a day or so it had cut into the back of his chin.

CarolineR, glad the muzzle is working for charlie.

It is called Best Friend Grazing Muzzle and I recommend the Deluxe model which has its own halter attached. Very nice design but be SURE to ask for the "new" design as the old one had some separation problems and they still have some on hand.

This muzzle is the ONLY way my mare can be out on pasture for more than two hours.

I was speaking to my farrier the other day, as my sisters pony has started to get mild laminitis, as she is a native and turned out all year round we were thinking of getting her a muzzle, my farrier thinks that the new grid ones are good and they cut the horses grass intake by 20%. Has anyone used one of these?
Tasha

newrider.com