Grazing Muzzles

Lottie86

Aug 6, 2012
North Aberdeenshire
What are the best grazing muzzles out there that won't rub? Magic is in a huge field with only one other horse so when the grass starts to grow he will look like a beach ball within a few hours if I don't do something. He's never worn a grazing muzzle so I'm not sure what he will think of it but I have no other way to restrict his intake when he is out during the day.

How long does the grass need to be before you can use a muzzle as I don't want to make him unable to eat if I put it on too early.

hiya,i use malaikas muzzle as soon as the grass starts shooting,even when its short she still gets it,to get her used to it what i did was pop it on for a few minutes and let her graze long grass,did this for a few days then popped her out and she was fine.
as far as rubbing goes,i find the original design greenguard halter best,they come up on ebay quite often.i use one of the bucket types and have put sheepskin around the nose to stop it rubbing,when malaika firsts gets it back on it rubs a little then settles down after a week or 2.

i use a 'best friend' muzzle. They are expensive at £50 but I think worth it. I have now padded Bens out with sheepskin on the underside of the muzzle and at the buckles along the cheek because it did start rubbing. He has been wearing it for 3 or 4 weeks now - I love it. He can be out in the huge field and eat to his hearts content without gorging himself.

I use the dinky rugs ones as all the others have caused grief for madams fragile skin.

I used to muzzle through winter - it's all dependant on the grass. I don't worry about length of grass personally

I've ordered a best friend one as well. I've brought each of the following and they shredded his face despite lambs wool on all areas / or they were to small.

Greenguard : just to small for his muzzle

Shires : rubbed everywhere and I put lambswool EVERYWHERE on it. Eventually it was just too snug.

Dinky's : This rubbed the least however the webbing wore away quickly and my horse figured out eating with his head on a funny angle resulted in more grass but he was tense over his neck through figuring out his own silly method.

Mary Poppins told me about the draft size one in the best friend range so I'm trying this as my last one. If it doesn't work then I'm just going to have to stable him like I did last year.

I have tried all sorts and find they all rub to a certain extent.

I have comfort grazing muzzles. I have padded out the areas they rub by sewing in some soft gauze type material. Just make sure you don't block the nose holes lol.

I find they work best if the grass is not to short and not to long. Just long enough that it will poke a wee mouthful through the hole. It takes a while for the horse to get used to it and work out how to stick the hole over the grass so they can eat it.

I start with short periods in them until they get used to them.

I start with short periods in them until they get used to them.

I spent ages getting Ben used to his muzzle. I started by feeding him carrots through the holes and then took him out for short grass walks. He initially didn't know what to do, but I put some carrots on the floor and he started eating them and then progressed to grass. He is now a professional at eating anything he can find through the muzzle - he just eats smaller amounts!

newrider.com