Grazing muzzles

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I have tried, and tried ,and tried to get Jess to be OK with a muzzle but she still hates it, with the now added complication of RAO I really need for her to be able to have some time on grass year round, less allergens and better nasal drainage etc.

I have a bucket type muzzle (shires), tried cob size and currently have full, I have tried putting treats (actual treats and grass) through the hole and gradually getting her head to the ground but she will make zero effort to eat unless I poke something into her lips. I have also tried waiting her out, but she just stands frozen, head up making no effort to graze or to rub/get it off, after 4 hours I had to give in.

Has anyone tried different styles with luck in this situation or found a trick for teaching them?

I never had any luck with Belle either, sorry, it’s a nightmare isn’t it, I wish we could make them understand it’s for their own good.

Reactions: Jessey
No help here either. I bought a lovely padded one for madam a few years ago and she just stood and stood and in the end the vet told me to take it off her. He reckoned she was going to do herself more harm than good. It was almost like she was in some kind of shock ? Because she didn't really even try to eat.:(

I used on successfully for many years, but then Ben discovered he could get it off and he would go to any lengths to do so. It stayed on better with a leather head collar over the top and I used to put a small plait in the top. When she started ripping the plait clean off, I knew it was time to give up.

How did you get him used to it @Mary Poppins? Or was he one of those who wasn't bothered and just figured it straight out? All the rest of mine have :rolleyes:
I started putting it in his stable and feeding chopped up carrots through the hole. I then put carrots on the floor of his stable and made sure he could eat these. I then went outside and put chopped up carrots on the grass and he soon worked out he could eat grass through it too. I progressed to I hand grass walks and when I was sure he was happy eating I turned him out. This all happen s progressively over about a week or so. I also watched him carefully to make sure he could drink through it.

newrider.com