grazing question - what is a "track system"??

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Question's in the title. I've heard track systems mentioned quite often on forums etc (Joyscarer immediately springs to mind) but have no idea what it is and how it works - can someone enlighten me please? :)

Isn't it that paddock paradise fencing thing where it makes them walk mines in narrow tracks to graze rather than graze at will stuffing their face full and no covering any miles?????

I have no idea really

Yeah I think it was Jaime Jackson who pioneered its use - his primary focus was on hoof health, incorporating many different types of terrain into the track so that the horses hooves get exposure to ground that will help achieve optimum hoof health. His theory was based on mimicking how wild horses live and the track is meant to encourage domesticated horses to move about more to cross the different ground, which inadvertently helped with fitness and fatness!

Eta I'm not for or against this method btw - just what my trimmer used with his horses so asked some question one day!

Last edited:
Isn't it that paddock paradise fencing thing where it makes them walk mines in narrow tracks to graze rather than graze at will stuffing their face full and no covering any miles?????

I have no idea really

You make burning calories sound such a bad thing! :giggle:

For most that use it it is to encourage movement. Naturally the horse covers miles to graze and find something to eat (typically poor grazing eg moors too) so this is why the wild horses are rarely fat. Due to rich pastures they are often kept on using a track makes them move to at least try and burn calories. Mine don't do running about - they just eat and as a result get fat!!

Ours have to go miles to get a full belly!

Capture-003485.jpg

i have done a track around ace's field so it limited his grass intake and made him move around, i choosed this over a starvation paddock for his laminitis. It has worked really well, and when we had more grass growth i just changed his path and limited it even more, but encouraged him to still walk as his water, shelter, hay and feed where put in different parts.

Yeah, but think of how long it takes to find them when we want to go for a potter.

I'm in the process of setting up a track around my field for Frank and Brack. I started with a strip along the top of the field and now they've grazed this down I'm slowly extending down one of the sides and will continue round the field.

For me its about maximising their movement and minimising their grazing although I worry how it will work in spring when the grass is growing :frown:

I have started keeping my two fells on a track sytem it goes around the outside of my largest paddock and takes about 5 mins to walk around it.

I take the fecing in and out ie make the track narrower or wider acording to the ammount of grazing and the time of yesr.

Having watched them on the track they definately walk more. I am keeping them on it gor weight management.

I have used a track system in various forms for a few years during the summer.

I have 3 good doers, a track has a lot more going for it than small paddocks for limiting grass intake IMO.

The Ponies have more room to have a good blast.
They can make the most of natural shelter for shade as the sun changes position during the day.
If like me you have a bit of a loner in the herd, they have the opition to have their own space.

I'm a fan.:smile:

newrider.com