Great day.. but noticed a few things.....

iluvhorses28

Jul 29, 2005
California
Although my weekend went fabulously with the girls..... I did notice a couple of concerning things....

As I bathed them, noticed Fancy had a saddle sore near her withers :(
I think it was from BM who initially started her under saddle... I'm sure his saddle was not the best fit... hence the sore... RI took over training/riding and has not yet ridden her with a saddle due to the sore... just bareback.... I put some antiseptic on it.... has anyone got any other suggestions to help with that? RI said it should get better fairly soon... just no saddle at the moment.:(

Then when I bathed Savannah.... under her left side after where the girth/cinch should be...she has a rather protruding lump.... showed it to the barn hand helping me that morning, and he said it could be from cinching..... should I be worried????:confused: I am not sure what I should see... would appreciate any comments on whether this will go away or should I be concerned? It does not hurt her at all when touched... it could have been there when I bought her, but I just dont remember seeing it until the barn hand pointed it out..

Help!:confused:

hi

yes you should be concerned, butyou have done the right thing but not riding her until the sore has completly healed and there is no tenderness.
you really should get the saddle checked out, if it has caused a sore once it will do it again until whatever is causing the problem is rectified.
the same aplies to the girth sore, not sure what saddle you are using, ie western or english? but you could consider a sheepskin girth sleeve. but this could also be caused by the saddle fit.
while you are waiting for her back to heal i would continue to work her on the ground in order to keep her muscle tone and fitness up, it's good for your horse and you, and it's fun.:D

BM started her initially for us. so he used his saddle...I'm sure it did not fit well as he uses it for every horse he is training.... I am continuing to put antiseptic on it.

She was ridden in a western saddle. And my other horse as well.

Does that lump by the girth area go down at all? It doesnt seem to hurt her.

newrider.com