Great lesson and mounted games ideas needed too!

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
I was so wrecked today and stressed from work and trying to sort getting heating fixed in apartment. General life stuff was getting me down and wasn't really feeling in the mood to go out in the rain.

But went up to yard, was running late so that makes me even more stressed :giggle: but once I got in the saddle felt so much better.

Had a lesson and we went to the allotments, did most of it in walk to get Cyrus nice and chilled even when doing exciting things and being out and about.

He was a total angel pony. We did some small banks, went through running river made by the rain at a gate, we passed some sheep, he looked at them in the field but the loose ones a few feet away did not bother him in the slightest! We went through a deeper water thing.

We did a bigger drop from bank that had never done before, probably about 3 1/2 feet. 1st couple goes he went too much to right and was dithering at the top and not wanting to do it. But then my RI gave me a pep talk and I did it again a lot more confidently. I realised I had been nervous which would make him nervous. Once I was confident it went perfect :bounce: So did that a few more times. Was a slightly tricky one as had to make sure to keep my line down really straight, while letting reins go to buckle, as ground dodgy with rocks if veered a couple feet wrong to either side.

Felt really proud of me and Cyrus for doing it well in the end. Once I show no fear he is a super brave boy and does not bat an eyelid.

To finish, my instuctor walked around pathway to top of a field near gate home and me and Cyrus went over a little bank and towards the edge of a field and walked up. This is the usual 'canter track' but we were doing it in walk to teach him not to assume its canter place, was really good to get him to do a nice active walk up the field and follow my aids and be a total lamb :biggrin:

I was so destressed and happy after our session, horses are just so good for the soul and mind :happy:

Cyrus got an apple for Valentine's Day and he deserved it for being such a little star :wub:

My RI is going to try organise to do some adult mounted games in April :biggrin: so excited about that :bounce: I think Cyrus will enjoy that :giggle:

So if anyone has any mounted games ideas please do share :help: we are going to have teams of 4

Last edited:
Mounted games ideas, yes lots.

Sock race, sack race, mugs, buckets, granny, bending, egg and spoon, postbox, ride and run, jump and run-hurdles, flag, musical buckets, beanbags, balloons.

:giggle: does this give away what I do of a summer.

Here you are http://www.horseclub.co.uk/gymkhana_games.htm

Last edited:
Thanks NF those ideas sound great. I am lucky spotty horse is not too big easy to get on and off without a block :giggle: and he always stands nicely

If want any help just pm, I love mounted games. It just makes a change for her.
I sometimes do barrel racing but walk and trot only. Adds variety.

Cyrus definitely deserved his valentine's apple! He sounds such a good chap and you sound like you're having a really good time with him.

Cyrus definitely deserved his valentine's apple! He sounds such a good chap and you sound like you're having a really good time with him.

He is great, he also deserved all the polos he got today after he got his mane pulled :giggle: poor chap, friend helped me and we got half it done and hardest half, other half not as bad so will tackle that tomorrow :bounce:

newrider.com