Great lesson this morning...

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
FAB lesson this morning with BHSAI Fearless Abby again (who jumped Gracie at XC on Tuesday) - getting in quickly before Abs goes back to uni on Sunday. I actually feel greatly heartened because I might be a bit of a better rider than I thought I was! G is still very green, but in particular she is stiff on her left rein. I know all horses favour one side note than the other but this is a marked difference. Having said that, she IS learning and doesn't have tantrums when asked to do something that she doesn't understand. When she is in a contact, she flexes to the left beautifully and bends nicely, but 9 times out of 10, at the moment, she sets her neck, bends her head to the right and leads with her shoulder! (She has had physio for this so it's not new) Then she ties herself in knots and gets flustered because she doesn't know how rectify things, bless. I don't use any force but we repeat and try patiently. Abby gave me some great advice, but after struggling for 20 mins I asked her to hop on, to determine whether it was me or G. To my utter surprise, G was actually WORSE for Abs, who was shocked at just how much G can block! G is very responsive to the leg and soft in the mouth but let bend is her nemesis. Couple that with any leg pressure currently means to speed up, "inside leg to outside hand" is lost on her!! Having said that, G is still improving (moments of magic when I get "power-steering" for a second or two) it's just taking time and persistence. I was overjoyed when Abby told ME that I make it look a lot easier than it is!!! (Left bend)

I got some great advice and help, plus I now have some fab new exercises to work on now. So glad I booked her.

OMG! Power steering! That's it! I totally understand what you mean!!

Sounds like you really made progress. Well done!

Reactions: orbvalley
I know what you mean about leg pressure equals speed. Billy's tried that on me a few times recently. He's learning what half halts are. I still can't master inside leg to outside rein.

Power steering - LOL!
Mine has always been very stiff and rigid in her right rein, osteopath put it down to a hooly in the field ( not sure that i was convinced of that) anyhow a year later with lots of flexing and suppling exercises not to mention what its done to muscle-ing up my right leg:oops: she's finally become supple on both sides - so keep at it and it should pay off in the longer term;):)

I thought power steering described it perfectly.... When it all becomes so light, like you are guiding cotton wool. When it comes right for a second or two, boy does it motivate you and give you something to strive for!!

newrider.com