Great lesson this weekend

amandal

Feb 12, 2004
Somerset
First lesson in 3 weeks and it didn't start too well, still working through mounting problems so still needed RI's help getting on board, however it took less time than normal.

Then after warming up in walk we went into trot, I felt really odd, like I'd forgotten how to ride, after 5 minutes RI stopped me and asked what was up because it looked like I'd forgotten how to ride ;) . So we stopped, walked a bit and then I rode round feeling her steps and counting them out loud. I'd soon got confirmation from RI that maybe I could still ride :D and we went on to shoulder in and leg yields to distract Ziz and get her listening to me again, leg yields don't have the desired effect, Ziz seems to love doing them in trot, really motors along, ears pricked and thoroughly enjoying herself but not exactly calming her trot down. Eventually she was listening to me and we got a lovely outline, so did some other movements and then went into canter.

Canter was always my favourite pace on Ziz, it's a lovely movement and feels so great but in the last few lessons I've been panicking when she puts her head down a bit, imagining she's going to tank off with me. The last schooling session I did with her I managed to just ride her through it with no panic and in this lesson I managed to do that again, unfortunately lost any sense of direction. We cantered 20m circles (which eventually were circular rather than egg shaped) and I managed to keep her in canter, then we went large around the school and got a few laps on each rein, although oddly her right rein, traditionally her worst was the easiest.

My RI is brilliant, she can sense when I'm just thinking about panicking and bellows across at me to keep on riding, this session she shouted at me, "stop thinking about letting her stop, you're good enough to ride her through this, ride her properly" :D . Just what I needed and we had a lovely canter around the school on her "bad" rein, also that set off some lightbulbs in my head about why I am having confidence problems. Not one of my instructors has ever told me what sort of rider I am and my RI saying that just made me feel more like my old riding self again, i.e. someone who can ride and have control.

So we've decided I think too much and need to feel more, concentrating on just feeling and not cheating by looking down etc it's a lot easier than I thought it was previously, glad I'm learning to listen more to my mare.

Went to hack Ziz out on Sunday morning, she'd been a total nightmare the last time we went out, from the yard to any of the rides we have to go along the roads which are quiet, country lanes but the odd bit of traffic really hurtles along. I was feeling a bit wibbly so we went for a walk (in hand) instead. She was so pleased to get out of the gates and enjoyed herself so much and groomed me when we got back so think she liked it. Next weekend I'm promising myself that I will go for a walk up the lane and back, even if it's just 10 minutes after a schooling session.

Last edited:
Sounds like you worked hard and were rewarded for all that concentration and effort, Amandal! Bet you felt great, achieving all that- and cantering, too! I admire you muchly!

It does make a huge difference, doesn't it, when the RI can help you get a picture in your head of how it feels to be 'getting it right'.

So often, there's only a string of instructions which just get tangled in your ears:rolleyes:

Can you hack out in some company, or do you always have to go alone?

I can hack out in company, unfortunately Ziz is a follower, ie if someone else tanks off or gets excited she will just to join in the fun:eek: , I actually thought it would be calmer and safer with just her and me - we used to hack out alone for hours and I am determined we will do so again.

I know I'm adding to my own post :eek: but another livery has told me that the mother of the young girl on the yard has said that she's going to ask me to go out hacking with them. She walks along and her 9 year old daughter rides - how lovely is that, offering to take wibbly old me along :D .

newrider.com