Great lesson today

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
Had a really good lesson today, was wrecked after but smiling and felt really positive.

Cyrus has trouble cantering on right lead, so we worked on schooling him with correct aid for right canter lead by asking for it down centre line. First time I have done this so I learned something new and so did Cyrus :giggle:

My RI will school him more in this too so he has an experienced rider teaching him this too :biggrin:

Then I did walk to canter transitions for the first time ever, Cyrus knows how already, left rein ones were successful :happy:

Great to learn something new and have a lesson where things go well.

He is just so lovely to ride and I feel more confident each time I ride and don't feel nervous or worried :bounce:

Did they say why it helped by going down the centre, I am interested. Wonder if its because of the extra amount they need to bend and so step under?

I did walk to canter on friends horse, its great fun I agree with that. You need an active walk though.

Any pics. :biggrin:

My RI explained to me that it was done down centre line (or on a straight line basically) and so ask for canter at about middle of arena, so that he learns the correct aid for right lead rather than just cantering on the lead he favours.

So same as when asking on a corner for right lead you'd have left leg back and right leg on the girth. Same aid on straight and if he goes on right lead big pats and praise, if not trot again and repeat. So he learns that when left leg is back when asking for canter that means he is being asked to strike of with right lead if that all makes sense. My RI explains it better than I can :giggle:

It is basically so he learns which lead I am asking him to canter rather than just cantering on what he chooses.

Was hard work but fun too :biggrin:

Walk to canter is definitely fun, I am getting better at making sure I keep nice active walk when we are working :bounce:

Last edited:
I love walk to canter too and gets my girl all fired up :giggle:

Sounds like a very constructive worthwhile lesson :biggrin:

I love walk to canter too and gets my girl all fired up :giggle:

Sounds like a very constructive worthwhile lesson :biggrin:

Was great fun :giggle: I love lessons like that :happy:

My confidence has shot up so much in a week :biggrin:

newrider.com