Great lesson yesterday

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Well I went over to David Deptford for a lesson yesterday, I rode one of his school horses as we have strangles near by our yard so we didn't want to risk taking my pone over, just in case and all that.

I rode a cute little mare, I have ridden her before but she did work nicely yesterday, she is funny though, has a tiny little cute stride/jog and a total rocking horse lope. I wasn't so worried about what she was doing, the lesson was focusing on me, my position and balance and timing.

It was really good, I was made to shorten my stirrups by a hole which felt very odd but I am game to give it a go if it helps :p and we worked alot on my upper body alignment as it has a tendancy to creap forwards :eek: and on getting my hands set better. We worked on getting my timing better for when to correct cheeky ponies and asking for things - got a great 'whoa' by the end of it :D

We also did a bit of slow control work which I can't wait to go home and start teaching Jess tonight as she was a bit naughty on the weekend :rolleyes: trying to squish my friend who came in the school on foot with us and then walked us out for the first time off the yard (just onto the yards fields at the front) - one of the ponies that she doesn't normally see came trotting over and she spun round (away from the pony) almost right over my friend - I'm glad she is quick on her feet and saw it coming :eek:

I am going to try and go back over to David's on the 13th for another lesson, then early in Feb with Jess so long as the stangles stays away :D Feeling very upbeat now, and have decided I am going to try and go for a lesson at least once a month this year - I only managed 1/2 a dozen lessons last year and regret it :eek:

Sounds fab!

I need to get back into lessons.. should just ride my coaches horse. I havn't since Splash left cause I don't REALLY have a horse to "work" Although my new girl ought to do the trick :D

I really enjoy riding a really well trained horse once in a while for a lesson - reminds me exactly what I am aiming for with my guys, gives me a real boost when I get a bit down int he winter :D

sounds ace!
i used to have showjumping lessons with a very good instructor and he was always focusing on me/my balance/my seat and the control i gave to the horse whether it was jumping or not, and then he would concentrate on the horse i was riding :D

glad to hear you had a great lesson :)

x

Just booked my next one for the 13th first thing in the morning :D if the stangles is still quiet down the road he said I can take my mare :D

I didn't get any pictures - have somehow lost the batteries for my camera and lost the charge lead for the camcorder :eek:
I will try and get some next time - but as its likely I will be going on my own that might be difficult, I could ask David to take some ........ :p

Jessey, did you ride this lesson horse western? What type of headgear did he wear? I know you ride in a bosal some, but don't know much else. Trying to get a feel for what folks are talking about here. :)

And please, take the camera and bribe somebody if you must. Pics are great and I sure enjoy them.

What happened with the "paint" horse you posted about? I hope my reply wasn't insulting to you or the horse. If I can help you find info about the horse, will do so gladly. We are members of the Paint and Quarter horse associations both and can check horses records at either.

Have fun, be safe

Jack

Hey, I rode western yes, she is a very well schooled mare, very sweet :D I rode in a curb bit although she works great in a snaffle too, we wanted a little more and he normally puts a curb in for the more advanced work :D

I will have a hunt for the batteries/charger, I could set the video camera up to video the whole lot and then just upload some stills for you all :D

We are going back to ride the paint mare this saturday, they also have their trainer coming in to 'show her off' to us and really show us what she can do :D I can't remember how she is bred...let me go have a look see if I can find it, I can definatly get her registered name :D Thanks

newrider.com